tardis86

What Machine Do You Use?

To those who make holsters and gun belts and such, what type/brand of sewing machine do you use? Im debating if i want to go big at some point and i know its a huge purchase. I want to make gun belts and holsters, but if i sew all that by hand (especially belts) it will take too long, and lets face it, time is money..

thanks for your input.

Josh

I been thinkin' bout wunna them cowboy 3200 things. I havent used one, but I'm sure it will do what you describe.

I been thinkin' bout wunna them cowboy 3200 things. I havent used one, but I'm sure it will do what you describe.

i noticed you sell holsters and belts.. what do you use for those?

I have the cobra 4. I'm getting by, but honestly I couldn't' look a guy in the face and recommend it.

Highlead GA 2688-1 with speed reducer and brush type servo motor. I also have one setup for canvas and other heavy fabric that I have equipped with a clutch motor without the speed reducer. The dog runs and hides when I use that; it runs fast. Can't say I ever had a problem with either one. Good reliable machine. Uses same moving parts as 441, castings are heavier.

Art

We have 3 machines 2 that we use for holsters and belt's . They are 441 clones,one is a Sewpro and the other is a Artisan. They both get plenty of use but they will punch through anything, and they don't give us much trouble ..

I have a Adler 867. Some of my collars up to 1/2" thick or so. This machine is incredible!

post-28387-0-77742500-1453946525_thumb.j

post-28387-0-00649900-1453946637_thumb.j

Cowboy 4500 here... got it from Toledo Industrial Sewing Machine (Cowboy Bob)...I make mostly holsters and rifle slings...and sometimes the occasional belt.

The only problems that I have had were user induced. Like knocking it out of timing and breaking a bobbin tension spring...there is a learning curve.

I see you are in Pittsburg...if I were you I would give Toledo Industrial Sewing Machine a call (866-362-7397)...their only a few hours away and have great customer service...let them know what you plan to do with the machine and they will recommend a machine that will fit your needs...I think they have used machines as well.

Good Luck and let us know which one you get.

On Tuesday, Jan 19, I used my Cowboy CB4500 to sew two unusual jobs for this type of machine. The first one was sewing new Santa Claus type uppers into a leather shoe. The second was sewing a new leather liner into a felt Cowboy hat I am refurbishing for a customer. I used #138 Cowboy brand bonded nylon thread, with a Schmetz #23 leather point needle.

In the first case, the length of the arm and positive triple feed made the job much more efficient than if I'd done it on a patcher.

In the second case, there is enough clearance on the right inside of the head to clear a 4 inch hat brim. Using a left toe foot I was able to sew the liner into the hat directly over the original stitch line, which is where the crown bends into the brim. My drop down edge guide was adjusted to clear the folded out lamb skin liner and still keep the brim from moving too much as I rotated the hat. Normally, hats are sewn on roller foot post machines. But, I don't have a post machine at this time. That needs to be remedied real soon.

On Tuesday, Jan 19, I used my Cowboy CB4500 to sew two unusual jobs for this type of machine. The first one was sewing new Santa Claus type uppers into a leather shoe. The second was sewing a new leather liner into a felt Cowboy hat I am refurbishing for a customer. I used #138 Cowboy brand bonded nylon thread, with a Schmetz #23 leather point needle.

In the first case, the length of the arm and positive triple feed made the job much more efficient than if I'd done it on a patcher.

In the second case, there is enough clearance on the right inside of the head to clear a 4 inch hat brim. Using a left toe foot I was able to sew the liner into the hat directly over the original stitch line, which is where the crown bends into the brim. My drop down edge guide was adjusted to clear the folded out lamb skin liner and still keep the brim from moving too much as I rotated the hat. Normally, hats are sewn on roller foot post machines. But, I don't have a post machine at this time. That needs to be remedied real soon.

Watch out, Wiz has a nuther case 'o' that old cast iron itch, real bad.....

Stay tuned after these messages to find out the result........

I use a Techsew 5100, a 441 clone, for belts, holsters, pet gear, bags and anything else heavy.

I have a fine selection of fabric grade machines to choose from for light duty stuff, which for me is duck canvas......

Next machine is likely to be a middleweight walking-foot postbed if the right one comes along or a flatbed, which is more likely. After that it would be a patcher for closing bags and other patcher dutys. An off the arm 441 class machine is in my dream shop....

Ferdco Pro 2000 for the last 20 years.

Edited by dirtclod

Im in the uk and i make horse harness and can sew upto 3/4 inch on my busm #6 and for the thiner bits (1/2inch or less) i use a busm pilot.

To be honest i am thinking of importing a techsew 5100 and selling the two busm machines...i know some will think im mad but i think if i have one machine to do both then thats more room i have and less to pay out with having both machines serviced...

Atb

Ls1

Edited by Leatherstrap1

Of course, the down side of having only one machine, if something happens and the machine goes down, then no work is getting out the door. With two -- even if they don't match -- you might be able to complete orders with the second one while the first is being fixed.

Of course, the down side of having only one machine, if something happens and the machine goes down, then no work is getting out the door. With two -- even if they don't match -- you might be able to complete orders with the second one while the first is being fixed.

True but i also have a spare stored at my brothers house that i could get if needed 👍👍

Cowboy 3200 from Neels .............. Ferdco 206 HL from Hoffman Brothers

I just purchased a cowboy 3200 a few weeks back and love it. I was in same boat as you. Belts took me forever. And yes these machines are pricey. However after picking up my machine and using it....it was very much worth it, and man let me tell you it is a "hoss". You cant go wrong with any of these machines others have mentioned. You will wonder why you waited. Save every penny you have and then enjoy the machins when you saved enough. And it will make you money back on it in no time. I git mine from Bob at Toledo Industrial. Bob was great to deal with. I saved on shipping by picking it up myself. About a 3 hr drive for me.

rdf1967

Edited by rdf1967

I would say to buy from the guy closest to you. Bob at Toledo, or Gregg at Keystone will provide a great machine and even greater service. Gregg also has Adler, Pfaff and Highlead if you want a little more quality, but the Ferdco 2000 will do you just fine. Both of these gents have been around since the Camel wore Sandals, well at least Bob has, and can be trusted with getting you going.

Art