Instinctive

Archery Side Quiver From The Scrap Bin And A Finish Question

Slowly working my way through a pile of 25+ year old veg tan. Back into traditional archery so made myself a prototype rustic traditional side quiver stitched with camo paracord.

Question

This old leather is really dry and brittle. gave it a treatment of neatsfoot oil. Would saddle soap help rejuvenate the leather?

post-58588-0-27067300-1453940370_thumb.j

post-58588-0-92531100-1453940370_thumb.j

post-58588-0-40896500-1453940371_thumb.j

post-58588-0-90682700-1453940371_thumb.j

post-58588-0-86682800-1453940372_thumb.j

The saddle soap and neatsfoot surely can't do any harm...

Have there been any issues with sag towards the middle of that quiver style? I tried one similar and it kept bending in the middle. I thought about including some metal or wooden rods to help add rigidity.

I like it, interesting design with the paracord lacing. Nice work.

Stu

I would suggest making your own leather conditioner. Equal parts oil,tallow and wax.

What oils and wax are best is debatable, everyone seems to have their own preference.

Personally I use a vegetable oil because that's what the veg in vegtan stands for and wax wise I prefer beeswax because it smells nice and doesn't go shiny. If you want shiny throw in some parrafin wax.

However the tallow is essential, because during the tanning process its fat that gets lost more than oil..... At least that's how I understand it.

The saddle soap and neatsfoot surely can't do any harm...

Have there been any issues with sag towards the middle of that quiver style? I tried one similar and it kept bending in the middle. I thought about including some metal or wooden rods to help add rigidity.

Doesn't look like there will be any issue with sag on this one. That a 10-12 oz leather. The center is really stiff.

I've seen some done with metal stiffeners but they were using much thinner leather.

If it looks like it's going to sag, the design with the paracord stitching will allow me to add leather stiffener ribs on the side of the center section.

I like it, interesting design with the paracord lacing. Nice work.

Stu

Thanks. I have been doing some other experimenting with the paracord, stitching knife sheaths (a couple posted on this forum). You can really cinch the stitched tight.