to those who make holsters, what size belt holes do you typically make and where did you buy the punch? (assuming you use a punch) I have tried by hand and it looks like crap.

thanks!

1.5 inch punch...Springfield Leather

hmm.. I would have thought to go a bit bigger, I would have thought it would be too snug to get an 1.5" belt through easily

1.5" from Weaver. Works pretty good, though I haven't had this one long enough to tell you how long it holds an edge.

They make different sizes...1.5 inch is what I have the most need for...this is the typical size of a belt that can fit through the belt loops on jeans (or there abouts).

The belt holes do end up a little bit larger after you wet mold the leather, bevel your edges and then burnish them...the size may increase about a 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch...I've had no complaints yet that the belt would not fit through the holes...remember that a store bought belt is about a 1/16 to 1/8 inch shy of the advertised measurement in with.

I was using a 1.5 inch oblong from Tandy and it was definitely too tight for a 1.5 inch belt. To fix this I had a custom mallet punch made at Texas Custom Dies.

I specified 1.7 x .38 inches for my pancake holster belt loops. They took less than a week and it was only $80... The quality is awesome and works perfectly.

You don't want it to slide through loosely. I wouldn't own a holster where the slots are wider than the belt. No, I'm not giving the long version of that.. just that I won't own one and i won't sell one. I don't put 1 3/4" slots for a 1 1/2" belt.

I use a 1.25" round punch and a 1.00" wood chisel. First I punch my end holes with the round punch and then the chisel between. If I need a longer belt slot I use a wider chisel. Since I already had the chisels it made sense for me to go that route.

I got mine from Texas Custom Dies. I had it made to fit a one and a half inch belt, so the punch is a little bit bigger so the belt can go through easily. The width is a little bit wider than one quarter inch so it can accommodate a heavy duty double layer gun belt. It cost me around $80, shipped. It is the best thing I have bought for Leather working yet. I had been drilling two holes using a forstner bit and then trying to connect them, but rarely did it turn out to my satisfaction. I did specify to Texas Custom Dies that I would be going through two layers of seven to eight ounce Leather and occasionally two layers of eight to nine once Leather. After reading through other posts in this forum I believe making that distinction to them is important for the angle they put on the tool.

I'm considering the 1 5/8" punch. i think that might be a happy medium. just slightly over 1.5" but not way over

http://springfieldleather.com/16571/Punch%2COblong%2C%23151%2C1-5-8%22/

Edited by tardis86

I'm considering the 1 5/8" punch. i think that might be a happy medium. just slightly over 1.5" but not way over

http://springfieldleather.com/16571/Punch%2COblong%2C%23151%2C1-5-8"/

My only question would be how wide is the slot.

Why are you boys determined you need such a wide slot?

I use a 1.25" round punch and a 1.00" wood chisel. First I punch my end holes with the round punch and then the chisel between. If I need a longer belt slot I use a wider chisel. Since I already had the chisels it made sense for me to go that route.

Same but I use a 1.5" skiving knife to cut between.

According to springfield the slot is 1/4" wide. would that be big enough?

If a customer orders a pancake holster and he wears a hd gun belt, I will make the slots wider. That heavy belt will kink a holster and/or add some discomfort. I will, sometimes, bevel/ramp two sides of each slot. This allows the belt to lay flat and the holster will follow. I also make the slots around 1 3/4" long to make sure that 1 1/2" belt will go through the slot. No complaints and repeat customers. Some of my customers are serious about the CC holsters and like the "mods".

just what seems to work with 1/4 inch gun belts.........have been punching holes and chiseling and like the 3/8 best

According to springfield the slot is 1/4" wide. would that be big enough?

I'd say probably, if you're going to burnish the inside of the hole. Even if you're not burnishing you might be able to squeeze a 1/4" thick belt through. If you're making them for other people (who have 1/4" thick belts), they might not enjoy the extra friction and effort it *might* take to feed the belt through. I've never used the Springfield punch, so this is my best guess. If you try it, please report back the results.

http://springfieldleather.com/16571/Punch%2COblong%2C%23151%2C1-5-8%22/

I have one similar and don't use it. The taper leaves a hole that is narrower on the back and wider on the front. With the punch and skivving knife I get a slot that is more vertical front to back. Also found it hard to drive through the holster. I use one similar to this, might even be this one I just don't remember.

http://springfieldleather.com/24870/Knife%2CLeather%2CCSO%2CSz-1/

I have a C.S. Osborne 1 3/4" oblong punch which punches a slot 1/4" wide and seems to be perfect for me. My belt is 1 3/4" wide and fits perfectly in the 1 3/4" slot, a heavier duty belt might be an issue and need a wider slot, I haven't tried it yet.

Stu

For 1.5" belts, I have a Texas Custom Dies oblong punch that is 1-5/8" x 1/4", which has been fantastic. I haven't had any issues with the width of the slot only being 1/4" wide.

The majority of the orders I get are for 1.5" belts, but I still have to use other methods when someone orders a holster for a 1.25" or 1.75" belt. I've considered trying Weaver's oblong punches for those sizes, since I've been pleased with their other tools... but I haven't made up my mind yet. :)

I do this as well, punching two round holes (5/16" diameter) 1.5" apart on center. Then a 1.5" sharp wood chisel connects the two holes, hitting each hole tangent to the edge. Done carefully, this can make a pretty smooth, almost-finished slot. I then wrap a pen in fine grit sandpaper and give it a couple laps around the inside of the slot to smooth it up before burnishing. Like Fredo said, this is what I had laying around, so I skipped buying an oval slot punch. Good luck!