aquinn1989

Wood Grain?

practice and stain the tan first then use a very course sponge just on the edge and lightly drag the full length. with a weaving motion to simulate grain. I'd use choc. then on the edge from the side on out feather the choc so it fades then go back and paint the red

Everyone has a prefered method or idea in mind !

My thought was, because I've never had this presented to me before, I thought about, using a hair tool to simulate a woodgrain effect might work for you, Then stain and antique as you would any other project that was tooled ?

Hope all turns out as you expect . --- Wild Bill46

There is a new Tandy craftaid with wood and other textures. That may not be a bad place to start! Craftaids are not suitable for everything, but they are often a good starting point for learning now to do a style or technique.

http://www.tandyleather.com/en/product/textures-1-craftaid

Bill

If I were going to attempt to replicate this, I would look at tools that have the ability to produce a randomized and convincing wood grain.

My first thought was something along the lines of those wood grain squeegees. These could be used to vary the distribution of the stain/antique when applying. You'd need to find a way to keep from soaking in too fast so that you could work the squeegee around to make your grain patter.

Looking closely at the pictures, though... It doesn't appear that a wood grain squeegee is the tool being used. It looks like there is a fair bit of overlap on the darker sections that reminds me of something along the lines of a stainless steel scouring pad. As long as you weren't using too much pressure when passing one of these scouring pads over the surface, it shouldn't dig into the leather and leave lots of gouges.

These are just a couple of guesses based on looking at the provided image. The actual technique may be completely different, but I hope that it gives you a good starting point. As others said above, there have been some pretty interesting results posted in the forum for dealing with wood grain ranging from carving it in by hand to getting an actual chunk of wood and bashing the grain pattern into the leather. I really depends on the results you are looking for and will likely take a bit of experimentation on some scraps to get it down.

Hi, thank you guys for the ideas, will have to do some testing with it this weekend and will post some updated pictures of how things look!

Alex

Im looking forward to it aquinn. Ive been meaning to experiment with this but life keeps getting in the way.