JustWakinUp

Not my World

Ok, Few weeks back i got a call and was asked to do a harmonica case.

I mentioned to the lady that there are far better people for the job. She said she

didn't care, she wanted me to do it. Well here's my attempt. (Be Gentle)

hcfull.jpg

hc3full.jpg

hc4full.jpg

Fantastic job !!! Not an attempt but you got it top notch!

Art

I would say she chose the right guy for the job. Lovely job of bringing out all the natural textures and tones of the leather!

Kate

That is too dad-gum cool! Nothing to be gentle about there, very nice! :yes:

You nailed it!! Nice job, she picked the right guy for the task!!

That tri-weave stamping looks AMAZING. Don't be shy; you did a great job.

Wow, that's what leather is supposed to look like. Beautiful job.

this is a stunning piece of work!!! the tri weave is divine!!! very classy!

Nicely done....

Very nicely done.

Your customer is going to be very pleased.

David Theobald

What's there to be gentle about? You did a fantastic job!!!

Well here's my attempt. (Be Gentle)

When I make covers for books or portfolios, I sometimes have the same issue I noticed on your project. It's that "off-center" decoration (the eagle) that looks fine when the project is unfolded and open, but either too close to the fold or edge when folded. For me it's an aesthetic issue. I've tried many ways to get it aligned, but often the final trimming and sewing or lacing make it look "off-center" and it drives me crazy.

Bob Stelmack

When I make covers for books or portfolios, I sometimes have the same issue I noticed on your project. It's that "off-center" decoration (the eagle) that looks fine when the project is unfolded and open, but either too close to the fold or edge when folded. For me it's an aesthetic issue. I've tried many ways to get it aligned, but often the final trimming and sewing or lacing make it look "off-center" and it drives me crazy.

Bob Stelmack

Oh when i folded this thing I just about wen tthrough the roof, but It's what turned out. If you ever figure out that little diddy please let me know.

The way I found that works for me is to do all my layout measuring from the centerline out, remembering to allow for a fold allowance depending on the total thickness of the item ie. 1 or 2 layers and add a quarter inch, works most of the time! So on that case you have 4 layers of leather and 2 layers of harmonicas and 2 fold allowances plus a quarter inch, before centering the design, if that makes any sense at all. Oh...... then you have to figure in a border area. LOL Sometimes it turns out better just doing the whole thing on the fly and living with the results.......I like it and I am sure the harp player will be estatic about it.

Oh when i folded this thing I just about wen tthrough the roof, but It's what turned out. If you ever figure out that little diddy please let me know.

I also try and be careful not to put a carved and beveled line on a curve...very easy for it to crack through to the lining after repeated foldings

Sweet job! :thumbsup:

Very good looking harmonica case!!!

Tom

Only one word for that . . . exquisite!

That did turn out very nice. That basket weave is great, I wish I could get mine to look that neat and orderly when i do it.

Bob Stelmack

The way I do it is to start from the edge and work back towards the curve. So when you bend the piece your visible working area for things to be "centered" is the point where the curve ends to the edge. Mark the center of that space and you will find that your decoration achieves the visual center that you want.

For example if you want to measure it from the true center and the curve were 1" then lay out the piece and mark .5" from each side then from there to the edge and take the center of that.

I just prefer to kind of eye it starting from the edge and measuring back to the curve. Seems to work most of the time :-)

Thank you Bob for all of your great tutorials on PSLAC. Well worth the price of admission many many many times over.

John