leathervan

Homemade Stamps

I wanted a stamp that would be the width of the belt that I am making so I made a wax model of the stamp and had it sent to be cast. The casting company said it should be made out of bronze so it was sent back to me buck they cut off the part that I would pound on to imprint the stamp on my leather. So I sent it back but I am wondering if anyone else have had their own stamps made and how they did it.

I draw/get the artwork and then send it to these guys: http://www.studiotone.co.uk who produce a brass stamp using a CNC machine. I then press (rather than strike) the stamp into the leather. Generally this is for single name or brand stamps, and although I think you're using your stamp to produce multiple decorative impressions over the full length of the belt, the process shouldn't be much different. Obviously this company is in the UK, but I'm sure there must be a similar team near you and I expect they could use bronze instead of brass.

However, if you look in the back of Shop Talk or Leathercrafters or on-line there are plenty of folk out there who will CNC a stamp directly from artwork and cut out the intermediate bronze step. I use CorelDraw x7 which allows me a lot of creative latitude but with very high level of precision and repeatability.

Hope that helps.

Try Harper Manufacturing - they've been making maker's stamps for saddlemakers for many, many years. I use two from them - the kind you pound but I use them in my 6T press because I don't trust my pounding. Very heavy, high quality, will last forever.

www.harpermfg.com

Julia