Katariina

A Strap For A Friend

post-67342-0-88542000-1454421521_thumb.jpost-67342-0-05114500-1454421553_thumb.jpost-67342-0-89629600-1454421589_thumb.j

A project that took me 3 days to get finished. The planning was easier this dime, since my friend had told me of a dream he had of a bear swimming next to him in a lake and guiding the way. Originally he had ordered a strap with dragon flies and this is what came out of it! I like the contrasting color and this was actually the first time I carved and beveled out the designs. Please feel free to give me pointers, and critique so the next ones even better! I'm so hype again and can't wait to start the next one!

I like it a lot! Great color.

Have you considered applying an antique gel over the paint? It can really help to fill in a lot of those itty bitty spaces and add a lot of depth and bring out the tool work on top of the paint color.

I like it a lot! Great color.

Have you considered applying an antique gel over the paint? It can really help to fill in a lot of those itty bitty spaces and add a lot of depth and bring out the tool work on top of the paint color.

Oh? I haven't heard of that! I'd love to find out how it works and how it could serve me!! Are there any posts or pics on it? I'm going to look it up right away! Thanks!

I just looked it up and it's some what like I used to apply Tan colour on the whole work after I had finished. It sort of gives the piece a warm colour over coat doesn't it? How would it work on top of the cold blue tone? Would it become green? Also I used acrylic on some parts like the ice, would it turn yellow? But, I guess you would not need to apply it all over....

Edited by Katariina

Oh? I haven't heard of that! I'd love to find out how it works and how it could serve me!! Are there any posts or pics on it? I'm going to look it up right away! Thanks!

I just looked it up and it's some what like I used to apply Tan colour on the whole work after I had finished. It sort of gives the piece a warm colour over coat doesn't it? How would it work on top of the cold blue tone? Would it become green? Also I used acrylic on some parts like the ice, would it turn yellow? But, I guess you would not need to apply it all over....

Beret! I went to your web sight and wow! Really beautiful collars! I'm all in for looking in to the antique gel! Now, since I'm in Finland, I'd like to order the right kind of stuff for my work, would you recommend me something based on the pictures on what I posted. I'd like to keep my colours intense and what you said about the itsy bitsy nooks, that's what I'd like to address. Where and what exactly should I order? Thanks already!

In my experience, it just mutes the colors a bit and fills in cut lines and textures. It doesn't change the color.I use either a dark brown or a black gel. Eco-flo.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0057Y3NLW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

I brush it on heavily from the lines, then outward, let it sit for a few seconds, and then gently smudge it off with a soft cotton cloth

Edited by Beret

Thank you so much!

Definitely let your color dry for 12-24 hours before applying, however.

Edited by Beret

Beautiful strap.

This video shows a good demonstration of antiquing.

Edited by thefanninator

Thank you for the suggestions and on the whim, I ordered the gel last night and can't wait to try them out! I didn't order any sealer now that I checked the video. I do have a bottle of Angelus Acrylic finisher not sure if that will do the trick. Other wise, it's back to ordering something else. Guitar straps aren't exposed to weather conditions so, what would be the thing you'd suggest?

Really nice guitar strap. Love the art work.

Artist in the house ! very very nicely done ! ---Wild Bill46