Here are a couple of the first items I have made. I've always been interested in leather work & used to draw when I was a kid, but after inheriting a bit of leather after my grandfather passed I decided I wanted to have some things made out of the leather he left for me. A good friend of mine is a leather worker, & after asking him if he'd be interested in the commissioned work he recommended that I try it out myself, & I'm glad I did. These are the pieces I'm using as practice before I touch the leather I inherited. Anyhow, I feel like it's going pretty well considering the short amount of time I've had to put into it. It's already evident that this is surpassing the hobby level & entering "passion" status, now if I could just get more hours out of the day...

post-69139-0-43760800-1454509028_thumb.j

Looking good. Not the leather bug has bitten you, I look forward to seeing more of your accomplishments.

Welcome, you are off to a good start! This site is definitely the best place to find answers and ways to improve, and there are lots of people here who are willing to help.

Not beginners luck, for sure ! Those are nice pieces .Stay with it ? And welcome to the best site on the net ! --- Wild Bill46

Cool,,,

Some folks just have talent bud,,, your one of them,, diving right in on the carving is a great start, some of us are more chicken,,,,

Thanks y'all, very much! It's really nice to immediately see how supportive this community is! & I got kind of lucky with the tooling, in that all the years I spent drawing as a kid translated somewhat. I say "somewhat" because I'm still adjusting to holding a swivel knife properly. I may not have been too anxious about carving a design into the leather, but I assure you I'm plenty chicken still when it comes to whether or not I think I can line up a pattern just right & have all the holes in line haha.

Judging from your previous examples, "you are a natural" don't hesitate, your inner Artisan will guide you !

Holding the swivel knife is only frightening at first (not hard to master) strive for perpendicular tilted back slightly, using the

back corner to cut with ! Your examples look nice ! You'll surely be Okay ! ---- Wild Bill46