stasaki90

Do Not Order From Springfield Leather

Just received my first order from Springfield Leather.

I have heard mixed reviews about them so I ordered a small quantity of 6sf of Hermann Oak Leather (Shoulder, singles).

(http://springfieldleather.com/30417/Shoulder%2CSingle%2CH-O%2C3-4oz/)

Their customer service was friendly but the quality I received was unacceptable.

Please see attached pictures for their imperfections .

(I took the pictures in different rooms so the lighting is different)

Maybe I was just unlucky.

But that does not justify what I received.

You have been warned...

stasaki

post-69017-0-83872300-1454539215_thumb.jpost-69017-0-43268100-1454539216_thumb.jpost-69017-0-36747300-1454539217_thumb.jpost-69017-0-16475900-1454539218_thumb.jpost-69017-0-71496200-1454539218_thumb.j

Edited by stasaki90

That specific cut of leather is not of the premium grade and the reason that they have it is that they have cut some shorter belt straps from the side that it was part of. In other words, you have basically purchased a piece of scrap (so to speak) and this is cut from their Craftsman grade which is advertised as having such marks.

There is no need to go "warning" people about purchasing from Springfield. Many of us use them and have had no issues, but that is because we know about the various grades and cuts and only purchase the quality that we are looking for. Budget priced materials, regardless of what they are, will yield a budget looking result.

Edited by NVLeatherWorx

Great company,awesome people, and fair prices. You should probably contact them and give them a chance to resolve your issue before posting defamatory comments on a public forum.

I agree with Heavy...give them a call, before you bad mouth them...I've only had two problems with two separate orders and they corrected them right away.

On the other hand the only leather I have purchased from them has been pigskin lining...not pristine, but for the price you could not beat it.

Agree with Heavy. Call them before blasting them..

The link you gave shows the website listing. It clearly says these are a good quality leather but is a leftover from their belt production. So they have been handled and I would expect some nicks and blemishes on various pieces.

you get what you pay for. order mid grade expect some scares. order A grade expect 1-2 dollars a foot more. I've always used Montana leather out of billings or McPherson out of Washington seattle

mid grade is scared brands , barb wire , cuts during the tanning process their still full hides

if you can lay out you patterns around your scares then your good . not a part hide either

Before I started ordering my leather in 10 Hide Lots, I ordered from Springfield and would often get the same results. Granted, they always made it right with me, but it's one of those questions "Why didn't they do it right the first time?"

Again, they always made it right by me, but it was always another 4 days on returns and getting the right thing in.

Then, I found out that Springfield Leather orders 'Tannery Run' hides from Hermann Oak, and they are often ... literally ... a 'C' or 'D' Grade Leather. Even though Springfield lists them as a "B" grade when they are actually a true "D".

In the big picture, 10 hides may not be much but if I had you as a customer, I would not screw around. I firmly believe that the "small" guys get the dregs and the Mernickles and Kirkpatricks get the best of the litter. I am not begrudging the businesses because money does talk. The problem I have (I have posted this before) is the distribution lines. There ain't none. They sell down stream, up stream and sideways. There is no consistent "grading" system. I have ordered from a number of suppliers and have received the holes, scars, and brands on stuff that is supposed to be the premium leather. I have received whole sides that range from the requested 8-9 ounce to around 5-6 ounce elsewhere on the hide. Apparently there is the Superior grade that I did not notice.

'Course, the answer is to buy from Hermann/Oak but I can't afford that.

One might be interested to know that W&C supplies The Hide House in Napa Valley, CA. I wouldn't buy any more product from The Hide House if you paid me. I recently ordered (second and last time) two sides of their "Premium" grade and it is not consistent in weight, has more belly than nay I have ever seen, and if you put masking tape on it to hold a pattern, the tape will lift the "tan" color.

Edited by Red Cent

My H.O. issue is the minimum order. No worries getting 10 sides, but it's the fact that to get different thickness you have to buy 20 sides, not 10. ANd 10 of all the same weight would be fine IF you could buy a splitter that comes sharp and ready to use :rofl:

Far as suppliers go, I tend to be a bit vocal ;) Send me the good stuff, I'll spread the word. Send me the dregs, don't be confused - I'll say that too! Right in the center of town square, and I'll verify it with photos if needed.

Far as SLC goes, they HAVE sent me POO at various times. BUT, not ALL of the leather they've sent has been bad - in fact I have been on teh phone with them before suggesting they send me some more JUST LIKE that last batch.

And I ordered one side the other day from them which hasn't arrived as yet. This does seem to be their big customer base, though.. the guy who wants one or two pieces ...

Edited by JLSleather

If you want hand selected leather, you better go someplace where you can hand select it yourself. Nobody will be as picky as the end user. Even at that, you need to have places where you can use the "less than your desires and specifications" parts that come with even the highest grade hide. This gets to the point of buying leather by the piece. Where do you think those pieces come from? They are the parts that the seller didn't want to use in his own production, or for small pieces, they may be perfectly fine but not big enough to make something out of. So either you TALK to the owner and let him know you gotta have the good stuff and holes, tears, cuts, barb wire marks, and insect bites just won't do, or you buy whole hides and reject anything that doesn't meet your criteria. You have to trust your supplier to give you what you need (and cut him just the tiniest bit of slack), or you need to go to a show, and buy a whole years supply, that you select, and best of all, there are multiple dealers there who don't want to pack anything home. Many are the $20 full hides (chrome tan mostly and often 2 sides) that really are looking for a home. I know guys who buy a whole years worth this way because they live in the boonies, literally, and like to pick hides themselves.

As to sharpness of tools as provided by the factory; they do sharp to the level they think is sufficient for the job, or they don't put much other than a bevel on the tool, if at all. Of all the tools from C.S. Osborne I have either bought for myself or received to sharpen (most new in the box), nothing (including the knives for ghod sake) vaguely resembled sharp. My theory is that they were old school, and the apprentices at the end user's shop did all the sharpening, so why bother having a line worker do it. The tool and often the edge are designed to take abuse, and the lack of apprenticing and training raise the level of abuse.

On machinery, there is no excuse for a dull blade. Most of the time, the blade is away from the operator and is only presented to the work by the machine. Sometimes the selection of blade steel defines how sharp blades can get. Stainless will not attain, and hold an edge like O-1 or O-6 tool steel, which will rust while you are looking at it. Everything is a tradeoff, but sharpening is a skill AND an artform, you can't just pass an abrasive over it and declare it done, finished, put it in a box and sell it. In fact careful appraisal in every step of the sharpening process is required to attain and maintain a superior edge. Why go to all that trouble and COST when the customer is very likely to buy with a large emphasis on the price of the product.

Since I have retired, I have been doing a lot of scissors (barber, stylist, but I'll do anything) and the quality control and out of the box sharpness is the best I have seen in any industry. Sharpening these things is not for the uneducated or under equipped. The technology employed in the sharpening phase of manufacture is comparable or higher quality than the finest surgical instruments. Some companies actually vary the angle of a convex edge over the length of the blade, think about that. But their reputation depends on that technology much more than a head knife that the end user is going to put on a grinder before they do any serious cutting.

Art

They didn't want anyone to mistake your box of leather and tools for a Gateway Computer. Gateway computers get very special treatment during delivery.

Art

Hey Art, is Gateway even still around? Haven't seen that cow box around here in a very long time.

Richard,

I'm pretty sure Acer bought them in 2007 and AOL got the online part somewhere along the way. They tried a lot of innovative marketing stuff and blew a wad of cash and stock on eMachines (remember them?). Pioneers take a lot of arrows.

Art

All of those names have pretty much disappeared.

Since I have retired, I have been doing a lot of scissors (barber, stylist, but I'll do anything) and the quality control and out of the box sharpness is the best I have seen in any industry. Sharpening these things is not for the uneducated or under equipped. The technology employed in the sharpening phase of manufacture is comparable or higher quality than the finest surgical instruments. Some companies actually vary the angle of a convex edge over the length of the blade, think about that. But their reputation depends on that technology much more than a head knife that the end user is going to put on a grinder before they do any serious cutting.

Art

Did you know that it is a 5 year apprenticeship to become a Scissors Putter-togetherer

Scissor Putter-togetherer......What a wonderful job title. Also love the wear in that hammer handle.

Scissor Putter-togetherer......What a wonderful job title. Also love the wear in that hammer handle.

I know right? It sounds like a five year old made up the title, however there is no mistaking what the job entails from the title

........Like what the heck is a cordwainer.......

At first i thought the handle was twisted then i realized that was a worn thumb groove. Imagine what his palms look like. Probably have the same groove.

Did you know that it is a 5 year apprenticeship to become a Scissors Putter-togetherer

I watched the video and ordered a pair of scissors from them. I have a weakness for good scissors, and I believe theirs will be some of the best I have ever had.....we shall see.

I watched the video and ordered a pair of scissors from them. I have a weakness for good scissors, and I believe theirs will be some of the best I have ever had.....we shall see.

I have been itching to do the same, and have the same affliction. What has prevented me is I keep finding nice vintage scissors in thrift stores, which has served to 'feed the monster' for now. I got a mint never sharpened pair of Wiss inlaid 29's for 7 dollars a few months back. Couple days ago i found a pair of R. Heinisch 211-9" scissors made just up the road from Wiss in Newark, Nj. They are exactly the same pattern as the 29's.

Old man Wiss worked at Heinisch before starting his company in the mid 1800's. Apparently they were quite friendly companies until Wiss bought R.Heinisch in 1914. This means mine are likely at least 100 years old and may be the model the 29 came from. Apparently, they may be collectible, I am doing more research on their history. Mine are in usable shape with a sharpen, and good steel, but not collection quality imho.

I have been itching to do the same, and have the same affliction. What has prevented me is I keep finding nice vintage scissors in thrift stores, which has served to 'feed the monster' for now. I got a mint never sharpened pair of Wiss inlaid 29's for 7 dollars a few months back. Couple days ago i found a pair of R. Heinisch 211-9" scissors made just up the road from Wiss in Newark, Nj. They are exactly the same pattern as the 29's.

Old man Wiss worked at Heinisch before starting his company in the mid 1800's. Apparently they were quite friendly companies until Wiss bought R.Heinisch in 1914. This means mine are likely at least 100 years old and may be the model the 29 came from. Apparently, they may be collectible, I am doing more research on their history. Mine are in usable shape with a sharpen, and good steel, but not collection quality imho.

Very interesting info. Not quite sure how my interest in scissors began, but here I am. Having far more than I can ever use I hardly need any more, but I just can't say no when I happen across a pair I really like. I knew as soon as that video began I was in trouble. I am really looking forward to getting them and putting them to work.

I know this is an older thread but I had to comment after today. I ordered stuff on April 29 and due to crossing the border, it just got here today (5 days with CBSA, not Springfields fault) to find out that they had missed the decimal so CBSA wanted to charge me 69.38 in taxes. My order was 18.79US. I called the post office, CBSA and Springfield. Springfield is shipping out a replacement package at no cost and having me reject the original and return it. They could have told me to appeal the fees and left me on my own but they are going out of their way to help me out.

So, before you start bashing, make the phone call, you'll probably be surprised at how much they are willing to help out

I just went through a stack of receipts, saw how many times I got something from down there that I had to return.  Yikes!

Looks like last time I ordered anything down there was Feb of this year.  Paid $150 for a belt bend I had to 'finaggle" to get 3 clean belts out of.  

They had it down as H.O. "B" grade.  Sorry, no rush to get back there.

Edited by JLSleather

This is the first time I've had an issue with them. Granted I don't order from them once a week or anything but everything has been as requested. And if it hadn't been for a clerical error, I probably wouldn't have had an issue this time either but maybe I've been lucky (although considering my life, I find that highly unlikely).