MrLentz

Lacing A Buckle Into A Belt

Hello,

I was wondering if there is a good/simple method for lacing the end of a belt together to hold the buckle in? I need something that is very strong and will withstand the test of time. I was thinking possibly of doubling up on the lacing.

In this case would you lace a boxstitch pattern?

How would you finish it so the lace doesn't just come unravelled ?

Thanks!

Quite honestly, . . . I and probably most others, . . . after several minutes pondering your question, . . . I have no idea of exactly what you want to do.

Is this a double layer belt, . . . and you don't want to turn over the end?

Are you trying to lace the buckle to the end of the leather belt instead of snaps?

Are you talking about the tongue end becoming ugly?

Try again on the description, . . . someone here will probably come through for you.

May God bless,

Dwight

Hello,

Good point! - Well What I am trying to do is replace where one might normally use stitching to hold a buckle in place - or snaps if it is a removable buckle. It is just a one piece leather belt, so where the end of it folds back over the buckle then onto itself needs to be secured.

Here's an image - basically instead of these rivets to hold it together I want a simple lacing to hold it together that wont let loose.

WestEast-Armory-Everyday-Leather-Belt-10

Thanks!

Take a look at the method used to tie a latigo onto a saddle.

http://www.western-saddle-guide.com/attach-a-latigo.html

Your not likely to tighten your belt as much as you do a latigo

Dan

Take a look at the method used to tie a latigo onto a saddle.

http://www.western-saddle-guide.com/attach-a-latigo.html

Your not likely to tighten your belt as much as you do a latigo

Dan

That sure is a nice and simple method. I wonder though if I would need to re-tighten before each use, or is it more permanent than that?

Are these used to hold heavy weight on horses and will hold with over 300lbs?

Thanks!

That sure is a nice and simple method. I wonder though if I would need to re-tighten before each use, or is it more permanent than that?

Are these used to hold heavy weight on horses and will hold with over 300lbs?!

You do not need to re-tighten these.

This tie is the weakest link in the system that holds a saddle on a horse. It's strong and it stays tight.

Dan

You do not need to re-tighten these.

This tie is the weakest link in the system that holds a saddle on a horse. It's strong and it stays tight.

Dan

Would it make sense to use kangaroo lace 1/8 or larger in this case or should I consider cutting some of my 6/7 oz latigo as the tie part? I guess - what is typically used for the tie is my real question.

Thanks again!

The ties used on saddles are usually latigo and 6/7 seems about the right thickness. You could go thinner, especially for your application. 4/5 would probably work just fine.

Dan

I made a belt for myself and laced the buckle on just like dbusarow said. I've been wearing it daily for about 5 years now. Never had to tighten the lace. Make sure when you punch the holes that they are small enough. The laces should fit snug in the 'top' hole where both laces go through. The only time I've ever had an issue with latigos coming loose was when the holes were too big for the lace I used.

I made a belt for myself and laced the buckle on just like dbusarow said. I've been wearing it daily for about 5 years now. Never had to tighten the lace. Make sure when you punch the holes that they are small enough. The laces should fit snug in the 'top' hole where both laces go through. The only time I've ever had an issue with latigos coming loose was when the holes were too big for the lace I used.

Thanks - yeah I can see it probably needs to be a good tight fit.

Just hope the user of the belt doesn't decide to change out the buckle. I only use Chicago screws on my belts; they are more secure than a snap yet still allow the user to change out the buckle if they desire.