The late fall issue of the Leather Crafters Journal had an article written by Lyman Avery and an enclosed pattern for his concealed carry bag.

Finished it up last night and generally pleased with the way it turned out. Every project is a learning experience. I intended to sew the complete bag with my Cobra 4 but as I started to piece it together realized that I would have to hand sew the gusset to the front and back panels.

Not overly pleased with how the antiquing turned out but the general finish seemed to work out OK.

concealed%20carry7%201%20of%201.jpg

Very attractive work.

That is very, very nice........

I like it. crisp and clean and attractive.

I really like that!!!

really nice. you did a really nice job with the meander around the edge

I appreciate all your positive comments. I have learned so much from my fellow members of Leatherworker.net, all your help, comments and tips since I joined have been much appreciated.

Really nice work! I like the bag style. Reminds me of a nice saddle bag. What does the interior look like? Is it lined?

Tom

Bushpilot, . . . there are times I wish I had your patience. And today is one of those days I'll tell myself again that I need to do more work like yours.

But then I'll start, . . . I'll mess up the tooling, . . . pitch it in the trash box and say to heck with it for another 6 months or so.

That really is a beautiful bag, . . . showed my wife, . . . her first comment was it looked like a saddle bag, . . . and she thought it is really pretty.

You do good work, my friend, . . .

May God bless,

Dwight

Really nice work! I like the bag style. Reminds me of a nice saddle bag. What does the interior look like? Is it lined?

Tom

Hi Tom,

The bag is made of 7/8 oz leather except for the gusset which is 2/3 oz and all pieces including the gusset are lined with 2/3 oz leather.

Lyman had his article in the Sept/Oct issue of the Leather Crafters & Saddlers Journal and said that he got the idea for the concealed carry bag from the 2015 May/June issue where Bob Klenda wrote about instructions for a "saddlebag style purse".

Lyman modified the design to make it look more masculine and deepened it to accommodate his S&W model 686. Inside the purse sewn onto the back panel is a piece of 6-8 oz leather shaped to take the belt clip which he sews onto the back of the holster designed for his S&W.

Living in Arizona he writes that he prefers to carry his pistol in the bag rather than concealed on his hip.. Personally I own a Glock Model 17 so I intend to make a holster to fit it.

Cliff

Very Attractive in and of itself. I too like the serpentine border and basketweave tooling together.

its very intricate looking, And your GOOD at it. I can certainly understand the nickname saddlebag too.

Great project ! ----- Wild Bill46

Very Attractive in and of itself. I too like the serpentine border and basketweave tooling together.

its very intricate looking, And your GOOD at it. I can certainly understand the nickname saddlebag too.

Great project ! ----- Wild Bill46

I appreciate your comments.

Thanks,

Cliff