HanSolo

Sealing Crumbling Edges Of Leather Jacket?

Hi All,

I recently bought a leather jacket for cheap at a second hand store. It is quite old, but its heavy and real leather so good for motorbiking.

However, a couple of the edges, such as at the end of the sleeve, are crumbling. What is the simplest way to re-seal these edges? It doesn't have to look good, just stop the crumbling.

Many thanks!

There are some upholstery products designed to do what you are talking about, but I do not know what they are called.

The first thing to do is to refresh the leather before you seal it. I would suggest cleaning the leather with Lexol, using the Lexol leather conditioner to bring back some of the suppleness to the leather. Then you can use a sealer.

Unfortunately, I don't know what sealer you might use.

I have had good luck with the Lexol products on jackets & upholstery to give them a nice refresh & regain the flexibility & supple feel. If the jacket isn't black, you will want to test the conditioner on a non-visible spot first as it can darken the color.

viasacra89, OK here is a picture of the crumbling edges:

o9G0d0u.jpg

ZW0N1Xw.jpg

The biggest problem is that the crumbling, especially at the sleeve, is getting on stuff and I have to then brush it off.

I don't mind the effect on the appearance any solution has, just that the leather stops crumbling.

Many Thanks!