BarrelPony

Setting Round Spots And Rim Sets Without Tools?

Hey guys! I'm going to be putting round spots and crystals on a bronc halter and I need your help. I don't have a rivet setter, or a round spot setter, or anything of that sort to help me with this job. I don't know if I'll be doing this sort of thing ever again, so I don't want to buy a setter when I may never use it again. So, my question is, can I set round spots in leather by simply poking holes, pressing the round spots legs in those holes, then using something metal to press the legs in on the underside of the leather? I'm also thinking of doing the same thing with rim sets around flat back crystals. Will this work? Will it be sturdy enough? Here are the round spots and rim sets I am looking at:

Round Spots:

http://springfieldleather.com/37420/Spot%2CRound%2CNp%2C3-16%22%2C50pk/

Rim Sets:

http://springfieldleather.com/30889/RimSet%2C20ss%2CSilver/

I could use crystal rivets like these:

http://springfieldleather.com/34077/Rivet%2CCry%2CClear%2C7mm%2C10pk/

I have a snap setter kit that might work for those, but I have no idea. What do you all think? Is my best bet to get flat backs with rim sets and try to set them by hand? Another question I have is, will the legs of the round spots and rim sets be long enough to go through 3 1/2 OZ. leather? Thanks in advance!

If you get a couple of tools, . . . it will work better for you.

One, . . . buy an awl blade, . . . maybe 5 bucks, . . . set it in a drilled hole in a small piece of a broom handle, . . . it makes better holes than trying to poke them with a knife point or something like that.

Take a set of points (dividers), . . . set them for the distance between the legs on the spots, . . . and use that to mark where you will want them. Poke the holes with the awl blade, . . . bend the legs over into the spot with another piece of broom handle or a piece of dowel rod the size of the spot. Push them up into the curve and they won't drag on other material.

Do the same for the flat backs.

And yes, . . . they are plenty long enough for that thickness of leather.

Good luck, may God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

Thanks so much for your help Dwight! I do have an awl, so I will use that. I will get those round spots and rimsets. Thanks again!

Get an awl to poke the holes with then push prongs thru and bend them flat with a flat screwdriver.  

After I set mine in my dog collars I carefully and gently use a small hammer and tap the prongs flat ( flatten them) so they are secure.    

*Flip the leather upside down on a big piece of firm rubber or a poundo board so you don't crack your crystals after you've set them so you can tap prongs flat.    

Yup I do the awl and old screwdriver bit and measure out with a wing divider. I think next time I will purchase one of these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371165262344?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The only thing I can add is to be sure to put a piece of scrap leather under your spots when you bend the prongs over so you dont mar the spots. I stupidly scratched one up when just bending over the prongs on my bench. Lesson learned.

I see the thread was started a month ago so I am sure the OP has already finished their project but I buy my spots at

https://www.behindthewireshop.com/

Some neat stuff you dont find everywhere and great people to deal with.

Edited by Boriqua

When i go to set small spot along items i pull the thread from my cobra  sewing machine, using a #24 or 25 needle, "sew" a series of holes with the stitch length equal to the leg distance on the spot. then just insert and bend legs and/or tap down. I realise this process will not help those without a machine.

tim

3 hours ago, Hillbilly tim said:

When i go to set small spot along items i pull the thread from my cobra  sewing machine, using a #24 or 25 needle, "sew" a series of holes with the stitch length equal to the leg distance on the spot. then just insert and bend legs and/or tap down. I realise this process will not help those without a machine.

tim

I dont have a machine but Oh what an awesome suggestion for anyone that does!!!!