jdm0515

Old Pricking Irons Or Overstitch/pricking Wheels

I am looking for pretty much any tools I can use to mark stitch spacing. I currently have only a 7SPI overstitch wheel, which works great, just looking for other sizes. My main problem has to do with the Canadian dollar currently, and shipping costs. Every time I try to find tools to order the cost just gets astronomical by the time it gets here.

If an overstitch wheel does it for you, this one from Tandy is really not bad. http://www.tandyleather.com/en/product/craftool-overstitch-wheel-system

Bill

I've been using an overstitch wheel with a straight edge, then punching all the holes with an awl. It's worked for me so far, but i've never really tried much else aside from marking the spacing with a ruler before I got the overstitch wheel. I never heard anything good about that interchangeable wheel from Tandy, so I tried to stay clear of it. If it actually isn't really that bad, I may have to check it out

Why don't you take a look at ebay? There are many extremely cheap stitching chisel and they are really not that bad. Shipping is free but it will take a while for it to arrive.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=craft+Hole+Punche+Lacing+Stitching&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xstitching+chisel.TRS0&_nkw=stitching+chisel&_sacat=0

I guess its hard to say no at that price, $6 delivered for a 1/2/4/6 set. Hopefully they actually arrive and before too long, i'm always a little leering buying from China, but I guess its worth the gamble for $6

So after waiting nearly two months and no sign of the chisels I ordered arriving, I got a refund from the seller. Kind of disappointed, I really hoped to be using them a while ago, and still haven't found another economical option.

Does anyone have this set or any other chisels that they would be willing to sell? 

I think you just got unlucky with your China order. At least you got a refund.

Dont give up too easy though. I bought these...

61aUX2jtj3L._SL1000__zpsmmhgergr.jpg

...from Amazon UK for £14 BP (inc shipping) for the set, 6SPI and they are excellent.

Specification:
Material: tool steel
Length: 10.5 cm
Color: black
Tooth width: 2 mm
Tooth pitch: 4 mm (6SPI approx)
Quantity: 4 PCs (1 teeth, 2 tooth, 4 tooth & 6 tooth)

Not as good as the Seiwa, but really very good and at the price, superb value for money. They took about 3 weeks to arrive.

I bought these...

_1_zpsztzj7zs0.jpg

Specification:
Material: Stainless steel?
Length: 10.5 cm
Color: silver
Tooth width: 2 mm
Tooth pitch: 3 mm (8SPI approx)
Quantity: 4 PCs (1 teeth, 2 tooth, 4 tooth & 6 tooth)

from ebay uk. They were £11 BP for the set (inc shipping), they also took about 3 weeks to arrive, they are 8SPI and are also excellent. They seem to be exactly the same as the black painted set above, except a higher SPI and possibly made of unpainted stainless steel.

I cant confirm what metal they are made from - but at that price, does it matter? If a prong snaps off, I'll just buy another set. They are Chinese and part of me wants them to be terrible, but they aren't. They will do for me - at least until goods Japan start carrying more stock of Seiwa.

Edited by Martyn

Just thought I'd add this image to the above..

chisels001_zps9unbgwmz.jpg

From top to bottom...

Seiwa Diamond 5mm/5 SPI

Chinese Proline (the black set above) 4mm/6 SPI

Chinese Proline (the silver set above) 3mm/8 SPI

The Seiwa are better chisels, the shape of the hole is a little flatter diamond and the angle is shallower, but for the money, the Chinese chisels are excellent.