I did a couple of searches in the forums but couldn't find anything current.

I 'm trying to find metal thumb break stiffeners. The Blue Gun Store has them for about $1.00 each, unless I buy a large number, and several other sources are selling them with a minimum order of 1000... which is a bit of overkill.

Anyone have a good source for less than $1.00 each?

Edited by GaryNunn

Rob does free shipping. Probably not going to beat that price. You could make your own. Then probably wish you would have spent a few bucks on them.

Try J.R.M. Products out of New Jersey. Great people to deal with. I ordered 100 of the 175.04c black phosphate on my last order at around 15 cents a piece. Very high quality. That reminds me that I need to place another order soon.

Try J.R.M. Products out of New Jersey. Great people to deal with. I ordered 100 of the 175.04c black phosphate on my last order at around 15 cents a piece. Very high quality. That reminds me that I need to place another order soon.

I actually looked at them and their website says 1000 minimum order.

Edited by GaryNunn

I have used the narrow steel strapping from bundles of 2X4s with good results. It's easy enough to cut with tin snips then file into shape and is easy to drill for snap and rivet holes. Lumber yards are always glad to get rid of these.

Unless you're intent on using metal for the thumb break, I actually prefer the method used on old Buchiemer holsters. I have a few of these and they use a one and a half inch strip of leather riveted into place (to the back side of the thumb break) on both it's ends with the snap located centrally. I have been using one of these for about thirty years with no complaints.

I actually looked at them and their website says 1000 minimum order.

I talked to them 2 years ago and I was able to order 100. I will be calling them on Monday to place another order. I will keep you updated on what they say.

Edited by triage1998

Because most of my holsters do not call for them, . . . I need very few of them.

When I do, . . . I have a sheet of kydex, . . . cut it out with snips, . . . sand the edges, . . . drill the holes, . . . glue it on, . . . one rivet and one snap later, . . . done.

May God bless,

Dwight

Beat me to it Dwight.

I picked up a couple at Springfield Leather a couple of weeks ago - package of 2 for $1.00.

highdesertleather.com on the DIY tab

Dwight and Red:

Where'd you boys git snaps long enough to go through all that?

Thank you for pointing me to J.R.M Products. I saw their website but passed it by because it said minimum order of 1000.

I just spoke to MaryAnn, and they're happy to sell me 100 at $ 0.15 apiece, I can't even get close to that price anywhere else.

Thanks again!

Gary

Dwight and Red:

Where'd you boys git snaps long enough to go through all that?

It's a little hole in the wall place, . . . not very well known, . . . called Tandy's.............. :cowboy:

Seriously, . . . I quit kicking around other places, . . . Tandy is only 35 miles from me, . . . near my wife''s aunt's place. She sees her aunt, . . . I go to Tandy's and get what I need. Their snaps have done every thing I've ever asked them to do, . . . and thumb snaps on holsters is one of those things.

It may be the tool I use, . . . it is a plier looking thing from Walmart originally, . . . last one came from Hobby Lobby, . . . this is similar to it. This one is lighter duty than my old one though, . . . once they are set, . . . they are SET, . . . and have to be cut off

http://www.amazon.com/Dritz-Heavy-Duty-Fastener-Plier/dp/B005BB5GYS

May God bless,

Dwight

8-9 ounce leather and a .080 piece of kydex ain't that thick. On my holsters, the thumb break strips are integrated into the pattern and are one piece not lined. I make the pattern strips long and install the snaps when everything else is done. Cut, burnish and dab of dye and burnish.

Beat me to it Red Cent.

Dwight or Red Cent...a big fat "Thank You" to the first of you guys to post a pic of your version of that. I don't usually encourage thumb breaks...but I have this one customer that insists upon them for everything I make for him. Since the blasted things aren't my "bag" and they aren't called for a lot, I honestly haven't put much thought into them...the thin Kydex never crossed my mind. Thanks, gentlemen!

Dwight or Red Cent...a big fat "Thank You" to the first of you guys to post a pic of your version of that. I don't usually encourage thumb breaks...but I have this one customer that insists upon them for everything I make for him. Since the blasted things aren't my "bag" and they aren't called for a lot, I honestly haven't put much thought into them...the thin Kydex never crossed my mind. Thanks, gentlemen!

Red Cent will have to beat me to this one, . . . I don't have one on the place that is finished, . . . and after looking at all the pictures I have, . . . nothing is really suitable to show it.

I may have a job coming up for one, . . . I'll make a note to get some pics then.

May God bless,

Dwight

Has anyone had any experience burying the thumb breaks stiffener between laminated leather or liners? Again I'm trying to get it right the first time by doing way too much research and asking just the right people 1000 questions. I've actually left that part of the liner unstitched and sewn up the rest of the holster because I'm not quite sure how far up I want the thumb break to extend. I was planning on molding / wet forming prior to doing the final glue and stitch of the thumb break. I thought if I could bury the stiffener between the leather and liner it might look cleaner.

SLP~ Here is a thumb break holster I just finished up last week. I place the thumb break stiffener between the backside of the holster and a leather reinforcement piece. I also find this is a much cleaner look and alleviated the need to rivet the thumb stiffener to the back of the holster. Just find your snap point and glue.

It does take some practice to get the height of the thumb break set. I hope this helps.

IMG_1703_zpserhke6l1.jpgIMG_1699_zpsbdca98tn.jpgIMG_1693_zpsye7qqdpp.jpgIMG_1687_zpsaav5rwnv.jpg
Edited by triage1998

Thanks Triage1998. That, by the way, is an incredibly handsome holster! Wow!

Edited by SLP

No pictures here either. Cut a piece of kydex almost as wide as the strap. About 2 - 2 1/2" long. Drill holes on each end, one for a rivet and the other for the snap. Punch holes in strap to match and attach with rivet and snap. Kydex goes on the back side of the upright strap.

Thumb break requests are few for me. I think I have done two in a year.