Richard M

What's Happening/why Is It Doing This?

I am having some issues with the finish on some belts I have been making. Once the finish has been applied the flesh side of the leather looks like its de-laminating/wrinkling (see pic)

Some info on what I'm using may help

Oak-Leaf Lightweight Saddle Skirting 10 to 12 oz

Fiebing's Leather Dye

Aussie Wax

Any ideas welcome

Richard.

post-60644-0-14403900-1454871535_thumb.j

when you glue the lining on , stretch the lining from one end to the other. tack it down apply the cement to both surfaces glue together . you want to pull some of the stretch out of the lining leather , it also looks like you've use some belly that has a lot of stretch in it. the dye just makes it easier for the leather to stretch. just a thought ,,,, after you have glued it the belt should curl up some

thunter9 thanks for the reply. However there is not a lining and that is the good/finished side. Which is why I am unsure of what is going on?

guess I'm not seeing the whole pic. looks to me that the leather wraps around the edge. it doesn't show the edge that's been burnished or can you see the edge where it was cut

if its a bad pc of leather roll it up after it been cut in a belt blank and see if the leather puckers up . roll it both ways . you should be able to tell if theirs a lose surface

You probably came too close to the belly. The fibers are loose.

Or you hit a soft spot in the hide or the hide wasn't tanned probably. But probably belly.

That is an indication of fatty leather; either it was a very fat cow or it is close to the belly. I have worked with some pre-cut straps before that did the same thing but I knew to expect it going into them because the leather was overly supple for its weight (10 to 11 oz., should be pretty stiff/firm if from the correct location for belt/strapping use).

You also can see this happen if the leather has been over conditioned (too much oil/conditioner applied, makes it spongy and this is what it can look like on thicker leather).

Edited by NVLeatherWorx

Thanks for all the responses.

I think I have managed to get the hide of a very fat cow! As that strip was cut from the very top of the side and as pointed out it is a very supple.

I will try and return it but that will be interesting as I have cut 3" from the too of it.

Is there any thing I can do to stop it happening?

Richard

Every once in awhile I run across a piece of leather that just has this issue written all over it and I handle it by soaking it to the point where it can't hold anymore water and then just set it aside and let it dry out for 2 days. Typically it will tighten up a bit as it has shrunk from the soaking and drying process, but it only tightens up a little bit. Down side is that when I use a piece like this I don't really put any conditioning oil to it as it would just make like it was in the first place. Hopefully, you will be able to work something out with the seller but we all know how they can be. Good luck with your endeavor and it would be interesting to hear what comes out of it.