gmace99

Hand Stitching Tip I Posted On Youtube

Really nice video. I think that video may clear things up for quite a few on this site.

One thing I noticed, and gave me a giggle, proves that old habits die hard, and muscle memory is strong.

Even though you pre-punched the holes, you couldn't help putting the right needle into the hole first, then pulling it out, like an awl..........

Thank you sir, keep it up.

Nice work. Thanks for sharing!

Soccer I forgot to show the back. However I am uploading a video at the moment if you pause it you will see the back on that. The video I am uploading shows you how to hide your stitch when you cross over to the other side. My stitching is ok its not great . I teach leather work however I have a wife that can stitch a buckle with a loop in under 2 minutes so no need for me to spend the time doing it.

Tinker well spotted. It is really hard to do something against the grain when you have been doing it 30 years. My biggest problem is I can not slow down. You can see in all my videos I still go fast but that is me trying to slow for the video. I was a piece work saddle maker . If you look at my how to make a hand bag in 6 minutes video that will be close to my normal pace.

King thanks for taking the time to comment. I am uploading a few more videos on youtube this week. If I had good internet they would all be up now.

I think the part I like the most about your videos is the efficiency of motion, and the lack of wasted time. Youtube is full of videos of guys who fiddlefart around the shop. That giant stropping board is a perfect example of being efficient. One full stroke on that is the same as 10-20 on a little small benchtop strop. Get it done and move on. Know where to be finicky and precise, and where it is not necessary, and work accordingly. That is what i have been picking up, the efficiency of motion.

Not that hobbyist teaching hobbyist isn't helpful, efficient production techniques are sometimes lost in this environment.

I agree tinker. If you want to do leather as a hobby then enjoy it in anyway you can. If you want to do this as a job then you have to dump all the unnecessary picking up of tools. The beauty of working with leather is the enjoyment for beginners to professionals.

I have watched a few youtube videos where you have to wait ten minutes for the guy to talk about anything before he gets to what you want to know. It could be they have the brains to think about it before they shoot there video. I aint got the brains for that. when I do a video it is normally I found 5 minutes so I turn on the camera then let my mouth do the work.

I really appreciate the videos you have been putting out. Things you may think are simple because you've used them for or done them for years are for some of us a revelation, because we've never been around it, have never seen it or heard of it. Occasionally, a "duh" kinda revelation, like I shoulda thought of that, but thats the beauty of it. Things others have figured out I can learn from, and move on to figuring something else out. And I like learning something in 5 minutes, because again, I can go practice it, then go on and learn something else. So, really, Thank You!

YnTx

Thanks for the kind words guys. I do like sharing what I know.

The hard bit is working out what to do next.

I do want to take the myth out of pattern making. I find most patterns really easy. So easy I never keep patterns I bin them and just redo them when I want to make things.

I did do a simple notebook cover video. This showed a simple pattern. I might do a tote bag next again showing how I do the patterns.

Thank you for the video upload, as was previously mentioned you made this video concise and very targeted and that is much appreciated.

A quick practice with the technique you showed has significantly improved my stitching.

Thanks!

I'm glad it worked for you monkey. It is one of the ways I train students in my school

The way you explained it was definitively very easy to understand and simple to put into action.

After watching other you tube videos I had been pulling my backside thread to the top of the hole before putting through the front side needle and I could not understand why I wasn't getting a better angle on the stitch but after seeing you doing the opposite ( backside thread to the bottom) it kind of clicked for me and I'm getting much better angles now.

I'm glad it worked for you monkey. It is one of the ways I train students in my school