Sign in to follow this  
Kowboyboots

Elk Hide Art

I seen a beautiful hide the other day & darn I didn't get a picture but let me see if I can explain it maybe you can help me learn how it is done.

It was a full elk hide, the background was either sheared off or tanned that way. That is what I am wondering, when was it done?

I am trying to find some pictures of this kind of art done on cow, deer or elk but I must be using the wrong search words, can any one help me?

thanks

Kathy

I seen a beautiful hide the other day & darn I didn't get a picture but let me see if I can explain it maybe you can help me learn how it is done.

It was a full elk hide, the background was either sheared off or tanned that way. That is what I am wondering, when was it done?

I am trying to find some pictures of this kind of art done on cow, deer or elk but I must be using the wrong search words, can any one help me?

thanks

Kathy

Kathy,

I am not sure what you mean by "Background". Are you referring to the hide itself? There is the skin side where the hair would be. If the hair/fur was still attached that would look different from a skin where all the hair has been removed and it is smooth. The flesh side is usually rougher. Since you used the term "sheared" that usually refers to the hair or fur and cutting it off, like in shearing the sheep. Tanning on the other hand refers to the techniques used to prepare and preserve the skin/hide. Later on you refer to "art done on cow, deer or elk" which raises additional questions.

Did you find those pictures?

BillB

I've seen a lot of work like your describing, living next to a reservation the natives do some of this, usually done on beaver pelts stretched on willow hoops, but there is a guy near here (not a native american) who does this on full elk hides, the pictures are shaved in with grooming clippers and barber scissors in layers of different heighths to create as much dimension as possible, and the background is usually taken clear to the leather and some color added to create sunset, blue sky, etc. It's quite a knack to do it he says but I've seen some on a full elk hide sell for as high as six thousand dollars, and the small beaver ones are usually something quite simple and sell for a few hundred in the tourist shops around here. Maybe check out some of the galleries that deal in the high end native american goods and you might find a few more examples of what you're looking for.

Edited by JRedding

This sounds really interesting. I hope somebody can find a picture to show. I'd really like to see it done.

jRedding, that is exactly what I am talking about. I have a picture coming of one now. my problem is most of what I do I am self taught or a pioneer in the field so my terminology isn't always the best.

Does your friend call it anything particular?

thanks

Kathy

Here is a Ute beaver hide like I am talking about.

UteHideArt3.jpg

post-7468-1229913980_thumb.jpg

Kathy, those are the ones I've usually seen in the shops in this area, I live about fifteen miles from the Ute reservation here so we used to see them often, not so much anymore though. The ones Joe did were done with the same technique, just larger and more detailed. The elk ones I've seen always had multiple scenes done on them much like you'd see on a buffalo story robe. My wife was raised on the reservation and is familiar with a lot of what they do, she says they're some form of a dream catcher, or mandella. (she thinks)

Edited by JRedding