Diane Hatwell

No 6 Harness Maker

Our museum has a British United Shoe Machinery No 6 Harness Maker. It came out of the local saddlery shop and has been a piece of cast iron gathering dust for 25 years. We are determined that it is going to work again. It doesn't have a needle, though I haven't looked everywhere yet. I am not sure if it has something missing underneath the needle, I am used to a bobbin but it goes back and forth so I have no idea how that works! Does anyone have a manual, or instructions please? The videos I have seen on YouTube show that ours does the same things (amazing what some oil will do) but it doesn't actually stitch anything yet. Thanks.

Les, it was the manual that led me to this site, but it still says I am not allowed to download it, I don't have permission. I feel like I've been naughty!

I am in rural Western Australia, a dot on the map called Dowerin, we have about 350 people in town, same again and a bit more on farms, a big agricultural trade fair, and a museum. Our harness maker came from Leicester so I wasn't sure whether Pearsons applied to it.

Thanks for your reply.

Les, it was the manual that led me to this site, but it still says I am not allowed to download it, I don't have permission. I feel like I've been naughty!

I am in rural Western Australia, a dot on the map called Dowerin, we have about 350 people in town, same again and a bit more on farms, a big agricultural trade fair, and a museum. Our harness maker came from Leicester so I wasn't sure whether Pearsons applied to it.

Thanks for your reply.

Try to right mouse button click on the link to the download, and select "save link as".

If that does not work, maybe send a pm to a moderator? Perhaps your account has not been enabled fully. Non members are blocked from downloading by default.

Does anyone know where I can buy needles, for preference in Australia, for a Persons number 6 Harness Maker?

Diane,

Where you able to get in touch with LW member Singermania?  He's in Bundaberg, Queensland and has a huge collection of older industrial machines and parts, which he buys and sells.

Leffler leather merchants may be able to help .they are in Aussie. Ask for a Russell Devine I had spoken with him about needles for another machine which I was unable to get needles for here in NZ

Capron Carter Industrial Sewing Machines have a branch in Perth and have parts for some antique and vintage machines

Send pics so we can see what she looks like!

glenn

Will do Glen. Not at home at the moment but had photos somewhere on the hard drive. She is a beauty.