CMGalvin

Need Leather And Supplier Guidance

Back in December I got an order from the company my wife works for for 40 belts. The belts were more cosmetic than functional, and are part of a running costume. Mostly they needed to be a medium brown, lightweight and not feel like they'd fall apart like a Wal-Mart belt. And hold up being on a sweaty runner. I bought a couple of sides at Tandy in their ever changing pile of "Utility" sides. This pile doesn't seem to have a specific rhyme or reason as to the type of tannage, style or consistency.

The belts wound up being a really big hit, and sold out much faster than the company imagined. They even managed to sell out before the event they originally planned them for. Which brings my dilemma, they need to order more. At least need to make 40 more, but need to find a supply of leather if the demand continues. Since the initial purchase I have not been able to find anything similar in Tandy's utility sides. I even checked the Tandy in a different state while traveling last month. I have since picked up a more of an upholstery side from Tandy and ordered a side from Hide House. I'm finding both are too soft and have more of a garment feel to them.

I need the leather to be 3-4 oz, predyed to a medium brown. The leather that worked great feels sturdier like a veg tan, and when I cut into it, the edge still feels keen. The belts I'm cutting are 2.5" wide, then I'm putting a 1" wide strip from both ends so the belt essentially looks like a big X, 1" strap on top, 1.5" on bottom and then a 2.5" segment in the center. I'm finding that with the other softer leathers using a strap cutter just twists it around and my edges don't stay a nice straight line. In the photo the light leathers are the original ones I used, the other is the Tandy upholstery leather. The second is just an example of how the leather holds on its own.

Is there a specific leather I should best be looking for? Or requesting? A decent supplier? I had some issues with Hide House getting the leather to me, which I will be calling and trying to work out. Most importantly is finding the right leather.

Thanks,

Charlie

post-18988-0-58161200-1455029179_thumb.j

post-18988-0-88757000-1455029185_thumb.j

I have run into this problem with discount leathers. I made a few projects with good leather i got for cheap because it was a mis-dye, or had a brand, or something. I sold them, then found out people wanted more. The problem was i could not get the leather any more. I also could not raise the price enough to cover the cost of the same quality leather at normal price.

Now I price everything assuming the leather was bought at full price at retail pricing. If i get the leather cheaper, that is my extra profit. Sometimes i make one-offs with discount leather and sell it cheaper, and when i do i make sure the customer knows that they got a one time deal, and is not repeatable.

The problem with your situation is if the quality drops with the second order, it may hurt your reputation. And it will drop trying to do production work out of the discount bin. If it were me, i would get some decent veg backs in the right weight, and adjust your pricing to keep things level. Work out the price and let them know why it went up, honestly. If they do not want to pay the price, I don't need to do it. I won't sacrifice my quality to make a sale. Ever.

Fortunately, I'm not underwater in matching the price. My initial estimate for my labor was a lot higher than the time it actually took me. I know I can buy a more expensive piece of leather now and still keep the project profitable.

My issue now is matching the leather characteristics. For this reorder I am looking to find a leather that has the appropriate characteristics and that I can order more of on a regular basis. A low price is nice, but consistency is what I'm shooting for.