grmnsplx

Help With Tote Bag

I am making a tote bag, but I think I have messed up and would like your thoughts on how to go forward.
This is a one piece bag, so I started out with a 19x30 inch rectangle. I then cut out 3x6 rectangles from the middle of each side to that I end up with two 19x12 rectangles connected by a 13x6 rectangle in the middle. I folded the piece in half (grain side in ) and stitched the two 12 inch edges together. So far so good.

Now I am supposed to pull the inner corners out to create the boxed bottom of the bag. The problem here is that the edges don't match up at all.
I think the issue is that I forgot to account for the margin where I stitched the edges. I think the cut out needs to be adjusted by this amount. Does that make sense? I think I can fix this. I think the cut out should be maybe 3+5/32 x 6 inch. Thoughts?

I'll post pics when I get home this evening.

josh

Im no expert. but I like making and learning how to do bags.

on the bags I have made there is a front and back piece sewed together with side & bottom seems. then match the side seem to bottom seem for boxing. on your one piece bag, mark the center of the bottom fold. match your mark to the side seem. clamp and sew. maneuver the leather to match up your mark and with side seems.

the fold in your bag may give you some trouble depending on the leather thickness it looks a little thick in pic. the 3" box cut out will produce a 6" wide bottom. there are some good vids on youtube for boxing techniques. this one helped me, Arthur Porter you tube "How to make a leather tote bag without a gusset." part 2 about the 1:00 mark

hope this helps

Edited by paprhangr