jdm0515

Permanent Marker For Edges

I was playing around with a few ideas I had for belts the other day, and I realized that a black permanent marker seems to be almost perfect for edge dyeing. It is very easy to control when applying, and seems to absorb enough into the leather. Has anyone else ever tried this? Am I missing something that will not work in the long run?

I sometimes use markers on my edges as well, but just to touch up after dyeing to even the color out and take care of any missed spots.

I think one issue is that the marker looks good on the surface, but doesn't penetrate as deeply as actual dye would, so I don't think the color would hold up well after some wear and tear.

That's just my opinion though, and some of the more experienced members might have a better answer for you.

I've done this to experiment and using Sharpies I find that it works but the color gives off a reddish tint and that it's harder to burnish after.

Sharpies work great. Easy to apply and very permanent. If you want to use a specific color, Crayola makes refillable markers. I think I got 5 for $8 at Michaels on sale.

I have trouble throwing things away. I have pulled apart dried up markers and filled them with dye. Depending on the color of the dye and the color of the marker, it may take a while of scrubbing the tip on waste paper to flush and blend the new dye to get the proper color.

I saw at home depot this weekend in the paint section were Sharpie alcohol based paint markers. Don't know if different from regular or nah. They had multiple colors and even some that were metallic. Haven't tried just mention it. I have used sharpies before with good results. 

That gives me an idea. Lowe's carries stain pens for touch ups on cabinets. They are near the wood filler. I use them all the time at work.

Why didn't I ever think of that before now???

Ya there's a guy on here that uses wood stain to dye his leather. Cant remember name right now. Eastern European uses a German stain.

My daughter plays softball. We have out initial on our practice balls. And as the father of a pitcher I have to redo the initial or replace the ball often. On the set I have now, the initial was originally done with a sharpie. This time when I went to tough up, I tried dyeing with fiebings low voc black. I gave it a couple days to dry,  then tried rubbing pretty hard with my thumb on a sharpie ball and a ball with the dye. The ball with the dye seemed to rub off a little more than the sharpie.  Next time I have to buy new, if I remember, I will try the dye on a fresh ball and see what happens.  Now I realize this is kinda apples and oranges. But it is an instance with both products on the same item. And they see a crap ton of abuse.  I will say that when the sharpie rubs off in a spot, it does not appear to have soaked in very much into the leather.  

Do wat you like with that.  Just figured I would throw it out there. 

Brian. 

I've strted using a fine tip sharpie to neaten up the edges of my tooling as I struggle to apply dye without it bleeding over the lines a little bit as I suspect my tooling lines arent deep enough. Still learning though. Without the sharpie it wouldnt look neat enough to sell to public. I need to get better at applying dye somehow lol

I use black and brown Sharpies and MarksALot markers for edge work...as touchup and boundary for my dye work...as well as for coloring in stamped letters (which I rarely do). Got the idea to use them from Particle (Eric Adams)...he demonstrates his use for them in several of his videos. Others probably have similar or varying methods...

Just tried the wood stain markers on a wallet last week. Worked fine and seems to penetrate well, but the leather soaks up a lot of stain and the tip dries out quickly. In the end, I'm not sure anything is gained over just using leather dye. 

That said, I have used India ink on the edges of projects that I've vinegarooned black. I use the brush tipped markers from the art store. Gives a pure black, goes on easy and holds up well. 

Just ordered the tandy refillable dye pen that someone mentioned above as I hadnt heard of them b4. Only problem is they say it will only work with water based dyes.

For example if im making a wallet, i do my tooling and bevel then dye with oil based dyes and let it dry over night

When its dry and buffed the next day if I use the water based dye with the refillable pen to touch up fine lines on the tooling will the water dye cause any problems / reactions when applied on top of dried oil based dye?

Doubt it. Oil dyes aren't oil based they are spirit based. You put resoline over pro dyes it's water based. Spirit and water mix fine. As in scotch and water.lol as another member said. Some members dilute there pro dyes with water also. Saying all that. Sounds lime experiment time! 

Just thought I'd share another idea. Use resolene to make the brush stiff and hard giving it a fine point. Then dip it in dye. Good for colouring fine lines on leather tooling. Perhaps better than a sharpie.

Just tried it. Works really well. The brush didnt go soft.