indidana

Two-Tone Dye/stain: How Do I Do It?

My husband wants me to make a wallet for him. Plain Jane, black dye/stain around the edges and blend it to a lighter color. Probably brown. I have seen some outstanding dye jobs and am just wondering, how the heck do y'all do it?! I've read that you have to use spirit-based, is that true? I'm a newb and using Tandy's Eco-flo line. I like the colors, and don't even know where to begin outside of their line.

Pictures for reference to give y'all an idea what I'm talking about.

post-62762-0-46259300-1455252693_thumb.j

post-62762-0-24626800-1455252718_thumb.j

Dye your base color then apply the darker dye using an airbrush or by block dying method.

Chris

If you use block dying method how do you blend them so it's a seamless transition?

Also, and I'm sorry for not putting this in one post, do you let the first coat dry before you apply the second coat of a different color?

Go on YouTube and type in "George Hurst block dyeing." He does a great tutorial on it. My personal advice is to get you an airbrush...it'll be WELL worth it. That effect is called "Sunburst" if you're wanted to google/search for it.