Hi,

I believe this is my first post, exciting! :) I am a pure hobbyist putting in hours on leather projects when I'm not to tired from work and kids and whatnot. Based in Sweden, btw.

My question is if anyone of you leather gurus here have any good tips on how I should think when I combine stitch length and thread size (and leather thickness)? Every time I think I have figured out what will look good, it often doesn't turn out the way I want.

Are there any general rules?

I'm starting to think I should move towards pricking iron and awl, even though that's more expensive equipment and more difficult to do...

Cheers,

Anders

Even the best, test.....

Make a few test samples with the given thread and material, and choose one. Proper TPI and thread size is a range not a set in stone formula, so artistic interpretation is normal. Start with reason reasonable measurements for the project at hand for these values, and then do what looks good to you.

I use 346 thread, . . . top and bottom, . . . belts, holsters, purses, billfolds, knife sheaths, . . . and an occasional "whatever" I might make.

No one has ever complained.

The few comments on the stitches, . . that I've gotten, . . . were all good.

Generally I'm about 5 1/2 stitches per inch.

May God bless,

Dwight