K5HEP

My First Holster And Post

This is my first attempt at any sort of leatherwork and my first post on the forum. I live in Texas and we just started open carry at the first of the year - so I needed an OWB holster for my 1911. I have been lurking around this forum for a good while and have learned a lot by reading the posts and looking at the pictures.

I would like to say "thank you" to all of the members for their very informative posts - there is a great wealth of knowledge to be found here. I would also like to say a special "thank you" to JLS Leather for the holster and magazine pouch pattern...

My holster is far from perfect, but its fit and function are great and it works well for me. Although this was my first project, I am sure that it will not be my last. My skills are limited and my resources are shallow, but that will not stop me from continuing my new found hobby...

Again - a big "thank you" to this forum and its members...

post-68390-0-81969400-1455470792_thumb.j

Looks good to me, especially for a first attempt.

It's a whole lot better than my first attempt.

I might be a bit biased (welcome for the pattern) but I don't think that looks bad at all. Like snubby, my first one certainly was NOT that clean. In fact, there are people who have been selling them for a while who don't look as good as yours! :o

Edited by JLSleather

Nice work!

Really Impressed With Your Work. Nicely Done

Very nicely done, better than my first one.

Looks awesome for your first. Leaps and bounds better than my first one. Can't go wrong with JLS... He's a great resource for all things "holster".

Keep up the great work and welcome to the hobby!!

Jp

Good job for the first try. On large guns like that I like to double stitch the lines on both sides of the gun. Try it and see if you like it or not.

On large guns like that I like to double stitch the lines on both sides of the gun.

Why is that - just cosmetic? Do you think you can break a single row?

Why is that - just cosmetic? Do you think you can break a single row?

Yes, mostly cosmetic. I doubt one row would fail, especially with 277 or higher thread. But there is no doubt it is stronger double stitched. I've looked at some big named holster makers and they double stitched. Considering it looks good and is easy to sew with a machine, I've done it too for larger guns like full size 1911's.

I'm not trying to talk you into OR out of anything... but the clear fact is... a second row of stitching does NOT "share the load", as they say. The stress is STILL on the 'working' row of stitching, and putting more holes in the leather is weakening, not strengthening. Like drilling a line of holes in a board...

Very nice

I'm not trying to talk you into OR out of anything... but the clear fact is... a second row of stitching does NOT "share the load", as they say. The stress is STILL on the 'working' row of stitching, and putting more holes in the leather is weakening, not strengthening. Like drilling a line of holes in a board...

That's my view on the matter, as well.

Very nice work, a hell of a lot better looking than my first. Have to agree with JLS on the stitching issue though.