LoveToLearn

Singer 111W-155 I Cant Get Any Bobbin Tension.

I have adjusted the screw but even at maximum tightness there is ZERO bobin tension. Is it possible that little spring got stretched when I had a tangle and was trying to pull it free? I have taken the sliding plates off and the feed dog cover and looked in there at the little spring. How can I take the bobbin case out so I can examine the status of that spring and bend it back into shape?

thanks

LoveToLearn

Why not just buy a new spring. Check with sewingmachines.com or one of the sponsors in the banners at the top of the page?

Tom

Is no bobin tension a common problem in these old machines? I mean is it unheard of or, is it common that the spring gets messed up and needs to be repaced? Anybody know how that bobin case comes out? Is it just two screws on the hold down plate or is there more to it? Is timing going to be affected?

Thanks

LoveToLearn

Have you turned the right screw? There are 2 on the spring one for holding it (the right one) one for the tension (the left one). The 111 are old machines and the spring is a wear part like the entire hook an many other parts. Sooner or later you simply have to replace it.

When you are buying a new spring I´d buy new screws too. They are tiny and when you loose em you are screwed.

See attached picture

post-31854-0-39771800-1455808925_thumb.j

Do you have a parts list and manual for your machine? If not download them.

Before you replace it, make sure there is no thread pieces stuck down in their from your tangle. Get the bobbin case out, and check everywhere the thread goes for stray hunks of nasty.

Have you turned the right screw? There are 2 on the spring one for holding it (the right one) one for the tension (the left one). The 111 are old machines and the spring is a wear part like the entire hook an many other parts. Sooner or later you simply have to replace it.

When you are buying a new spring I´d buy new screws too. They are tiny and when you loose em you are screwed.

See attached picture

attachicon.gifIMG_4233.JPG

Do you have a parts list and manual for your machine? If not download them.

Nice diagram. Thanks.. Do you know where the cheapest place is to get this part number? I have a parts manual. Im assuming the number is in there but where is the best/cheapest place to get a genuine singer part? Also I was wondering, is it normal for the bobin case to oscilate slightly?

Thanks fellas.

LoveToLearn

Any remaining unsold/unused (NOS) genuine Singer industrial sewing machines parts will be held by dealers who were in sewing machine business in the late 1980s or early 1990s, while Singer's industrial sewing division was still in operation. Both of the dealers listed by Constabulary meet that criteria.

Edited by Wizcrafts

Guess Ill be making some calls tomorrow. Thanks for the leads guys.

One final thing, take the old spring out and wee if it has a grove worn in by the bobbin thread. If so, discard it. If not, and you are careful, you can re-bend the spring to make it work better, i.e. make the radius on the spring smaller by bending it with your thumb and index finger. I have done this a lot over the years and it works to put tension back into the tension spring.

glenn

Glenn is correct, many times the spring can be bent back. With the right small screwdriver, you don't need to remove the basket from the hook. In fact, I usually remove just the adjustment screw, clean out the area, then place a small screwdriver vertical between the end of the spring and the adjustment hole. Push in with the spring over the screwdriver and reinstall the adjustment screw. It's easier to start if you loosen the anchor screw just a bit. Just make certain to re-tighten it.

Regards, Eric

Thanks guys, Ill try it.

LoveToLearn

LoveToLearn,

This video is the most important video I watched when I was trying to learn to thread my 111 Singer. I could not get any bobbin tension no matter how much I tightened the spring on the bobbin case. I tried and tried and it would never work. All the videos I watched all said the same thing, "drop the bobbin in, slide the thread under the triangle part, take up the bobbin thread and you are ready to sew." The problem was, I never could get any bobbin tension.

This video changed everything.

After you pick up the bobbin thread with the needle, put your finger on the bobbin to keep it from spinning and pull the thread through the hole until the thread pops under the bobbin tension spring. You will hear it and feel it. It should have tension after that. If it won't pop under the tension spring, you may have adjusted the tension spring too tight. Loosen it up until you can get the thread under the little black spring.

I hope this helps... Edited by BigMatt

I'd love to have $1 for every time I've said you have to put your finger on the bobbin on vertical hook machines while you pull on the bobbin thread.....

That is the only video I have seen that mentions it. I looked for days to find out what I was doing wrong...

A quick search in the forum would have found several references...but more to my point was I've been saying the same thing for the last 36 years.

Regards, Eric

I didn't mean to come across saying that you didn't say it.

Edited by BigMatt

ya it says nothing about that in the instructions or any manuals Ive seen. Thanks for mentioning that important detail. Ill try it.

LoveToLearn

ya it says nothing about that in the instructions or any manuals Ive seen. Thanks for mentioning that important detail. Ill try it.

LoveToLearn

I hope it helps, that was the missing link for me...

No worries BigMatt, I didn't take it that way at all. It simply reminded me of all my factory years and how many times I've said it, even reminding experienced operators, supervisors and apprentice mechanics. :)

Help

I have 111W155 singer walking foot.  
the bobbin pin that locks bobbin down in the bobbin case is stuck in upright position.  How do I get it down.  I’m afraid if I use anymore force it will break. 

Help

I have 111W155 singer walking foot.  
the bobbin pin that locks bobbin down in the bobbin case is stuck in upright position.  How do I get it down.  I’m afraid if I use anymore force it will break.