LoveToLearn

Is There Anything The Singer 66 Can Do That The 111W-155 Cant?

I dont want to end up with a lot of sewing machines. I have three now and Im getting scared. I have a small house and want to stay minimalistic. Is it safe to sell the 66 and keep only the 111w-155? I also have a Singer 500a rocketeer.

thanks

LoveToLearn

Hello LTL. Keep the 111W155 for upholstery/leather and sell the 66 or the 500A since they are similar machines. They are both home machines.

but can the 111w-155 do everything the 66 can do?

Edited by LoveToLearn

but can the 111w-155 do everything the 66 can do?

No, it cannot. The Class 66 is wonderful at sewing thin satin linings used in coats, vests, pockets, etc. Your walking foot machine will simply eat those materials as they get shoved into the big, long hole in the feed dog. Ditto for light cloth repairs or construction. These things need to be sewn with thin cotton or polyester thread using tiny needles, with very low thread tensions. Your walking foot machine has too much spring action all around to sew with standard garment thread. You'd have to back off all tensioners to almost zero and try to find thinner than usual #11 needles.

Of course, if you have no plans to do general repairs or tailoring (hemming, lining replacement, pocket repairs), this is a moot point.

thank you Wiz. Now should I keep the 66 or the 500a rocket? The rocket is more versatile with all the stitches it can do. The singer is older and very cool indeed to behold. Both are portable. The 500a is much lighter and smaller and I think is worth more because it has a cult following it seems. The 66 is simpler. 500a has more that can go wrong. What to do.

I would need to toss a coin to decide between a 66 or 500.I guess if you need zig-zag keep the 500,if you need $$ the 500 will bring more then you'll have a straight stitch left.It seems though that most people that sew end up with extra machines & like to keep them for backup.

HTH

Those 66 machines are a thing of beauty for sewing light duty material. I loved mine for cloth and such, but never could get it to sew 2 pieces of leather together consistently, so I sold it and bought a nice consew 206. The 206, setup for leather, doesn't do a good job on anything lighter than felt

Those 66 machines are a thing of beauty for sewing light duty material. I loved mine for cloth and such, but never could get it to sew 2 pieces of leather together consistently, so I sold it and bought a nice consew 206. The 206, setup for leather, doesn't do a good job on anything lighter than felt