gigi

Adler 30-1: Feeding The Bobbin From Exterior

Hello everyone,

I have question; maybe there is already a technical solution for this: I've recently bought my first sewing machine: an old Alder 30-1. It works well enough for me but the first thought that comes to my mind while seeing the bobbin is: Is there a way to feed the bobbin with thread from an external source? The bobbin is very small and the thread is slippery and unwinds like a spiral-coil-spring after I wind the bobbin from the spool :)

Maybe something like: the thread loops around the bobbin once and after that the tread going outside the shuttle…

I use European strength 20 Amann Serafil thread (Polyester), and I think the machine would work perfectly with even thicker thread if it wasn't the limit imposed by the bobbin. I like making veg tan leather handbags, pouches, holsters…and I don’t sew very long lines but still…

I am sorry if the question is naive: I am just curious (and I don't want to try reinventing the wheel if the problem has already been solved).

Thank you!

hi not sure which machine you have ? I'd use D/E size thread in the bobbin its the same as z-69 size. now if its the larger of the 2 bobbins I'd use z-99 on the top. you can buy pre-wound bobbins small bobbin no paper shuttle. larger bobbin use the paper shuttle type . large size sells by the gross and the small by the 1/2 gross they come in 3 colors white ,black ,brown and I have seen a tan years ago. so you still might find it. here in the USA coats is the only one I've found that seems to work. but who knows? since rice was bought out years ago. places like Ralph's industrial sewing machine in Denver caries a lot of thread under there name. hope this helps

It is a shoe patcher with small shuttle.

So if I understand correctly what you mean is: I could use a combination of two different thickness of thread in the upper and lower part of the machine, and there are available for sale pre-wounded bobbins for the shuttle.

Thank you so much for the reply, I will try that!