Colt W Knight

My First Set Of Spur Straps

I made these as a gift for a friend of mine. I got the pattern for these dove wing spur straps from the internet. They were said to be late 19th century design. I cut out the letters, and sandwhiched some turquoise pig skin seude between two pieces of vegtan leather. I don't know the thickness because I put the vegtan pieces on the belt sander to thin it down a lot. I hope I got them to around 4 ounces a piece. Sanded and burnished the edges. Gave them a healthy cleaning with saddle soap, trained them to shape, and then gave it a coat of beeswax so I could see the turquoise stripe on the edge. Then I finished them off with a hand rubbed finish of 1/3 beeswax, 1/3 olive oil, 1/3 tallow. I really like the look and feel this finish adds to a project.

I debated with which way to put the initials. Do you put them where the person wearing them can read them, or other folks looking down? I chose the riders perspective.

20160220_112221_zps6hsdqjeh.jpg

20160220_124345_zpsasbqclfs.jpg

Edited by Colt W Knight

I made these as a gift for a friend of mine. I got the pattern for these dove wing spur straps from the internet. They were said to be late 19th century design. I cut out the letters, and sandwhiched some turquoise pig skin seude between two pieces of vegtan leather. I don't know the thickness because I put the vegtan pieces on the belt sander to thin it down a lot. I hope I got them to around 4 ounces a piece. Sanded and burnished the edges. Gave them a healthy cleaning with saddle soap, trained them to shape, and then gave it a coat of beeswax so I could see the turquoise stripe on the edge. Then I finished them off with a hand rubbed finish of 1/3 beeswax, 1/3 olive oil, 1/3 tallow. I really like the look and feel this finish adds to a project.

I debated with which way to put the initials. Do you put them where the person wearing them can read them, or other folks looking down? I chose the riders perspective.

20160220_112221_zps6hsdqjeh.jpg

20160220_124345_zpsasbqclfs.jpg

Nice! I just made my first pair a few months ago.....they can be pretty labor intensive!

Thanks everyone