verus22

6" Cowboy Deluxe Leather Splitter

Picked one of these up from Bantam Saddle & Tack (http://www.bantamsaddletack.com/6-Deluxe-Cowboy-Leather-Skiver_p_41.html#) for less than I could find anywhere...$379.00 with FREE SHIPPING!!! This thing works great...very well made. He sent mine Priority 2-day, but the Post Office decided they wanted to take a bit longer...got it today though, and I love it!

This is a picture from their website:
post-59183-0-23309400-1456011347_thumb.j

Here's a video of practically the SAME tool (only difference I could find is mine has a wood handle, which I like better anyway)...but another 'brand' name (that also costs $385-$549 depending on your 'level'):

Save your money...buy from Bantam. Matt is a great guy to work with, and the Cowboy skiver is solidly built and works like it should.

Bantam also has a basic version of the Cowboy Skiver for $229:

http://www.bantamsaddletack.com/6-Cowboy-Original-Leather-Skiver_p_40.html

I'd be happy to answer any questions about this tool.

- Mike

I love George Hurst, but every time he narrates one of these things, I just nod off. I watched his airbrushing video once and the wife said they need to bottle it.

Art

Well, it was either that video, or another one from what appears to be some industrial area...no narration, but half-way through the video, someone starts using an angle grinder or something. I figured the Tandy one would be more entertaining. Here's the other video Art, for kicks:

I snagged one of these on ebay for $30 last year. Definitely worth the money.

how is the cowboy splitter working for you?

14 hours ago, nate186 said:

I'm wondering if this can skive along the edge as well as the end? Anyone know?

No, the roller is parallel to the blade so the skive will be a even across the whole width of the work.

FWIW, you can get the same thing Tandy and Cowboy are selling for $300+ on ebay without a brand name on it for as low as $158.

solar leather was out of stock in 2016.  Still?  Wait.. the 800 and 806 use the same blade? 

I snagged mine from Tandy during last years black Friday sale. $199 definitely a indispensable tool.