Rocknrodeotack

Getting Back Into Leather - Shopping List

Hey Guys!

I had been kicking around the idea of getting back into my leather business. In the past I had purchased blank tack sets and worked on those a bit - just really amateur stuff. I can say that the only thing I know how to do is stamp with a basket weave tool, set rivets and spots in leather, and apply Swarovski crystals to Conchos with epoxy. Pretty basic, right?

Now I want to jump back in it - even though my business name applies to tack, I want to try starting something a bit different to expand my knowledge and skill base so that I can eventually cut, dye, stitch, and do all the bells and whistles with tack. I'd like to start out doing belts and dog collars for practice - maybe work my way up to holsters and wallets.

I'm on a budget with tools and preferably want to stay away from Tandy - I've turned to Springfield Leather instead. My intentions are to purchase everything I need for tooling, stitching, dying, etc. to get me going until I can purchase nicer tools.

Items I have now: Punch Press, Basketweave tool, Poly Hammer, Hand Punches, an assortment of Swarovski crystals and crystal rivets, setters, spot setter, spots...

Here's my shopping list so far:

• Cement,Contact,Barge 2oz
  • Gum Tragacanth,4oz
  • Thread,Wax,White,Heavy,25yd
  • Tracing Film,1 yard
  • Needle,Harness,"0"Sm,10pk
  • Edge Kote,Black,4oz
  • Slicker,Edge (Nylon)
  • Craftaid,Belt,Oak Leaf/Acorn
  • Craftaid,Belt,Floral 1-1/2"
  • Dauber,Lint Free,10pk
  • Strap Cutter,All-Purpose
  • Stitching Pony,CraftmasterPro
  • Punch,Multi-Size Strap End
  • Edge Beveler,French Skiving
  • Stamping Tool Set,SLC Basic 6
  • Kit,Handsewing
  • Pattern,Feathers
  • Knife,Swivel,Ergonomic
  • Skiver,Super
I know I still need a round knife, dyes, and some rivets.
Anything else you would recommend that I am missing? Or maybe "do-this, avoid that"? Also what type of leather and weight would you recommend for tooled belts and collars? Non-tooled?
I'm also considering getting a slab of marble to work on and a piece of rubber stall mat.
Thanks!!

Welcome!

Your list has all the bases covered as far as I can see. I have a couple of suggestions, though, to save you a few bucks:

- Thread: While the 25yd. spool will get you going, if you are going to make belts/dog collars, you'll need a lot more. I would look into buying from Campbell-Randall (www.campbell-randall.com). They sell pound-sized spools that will last a long time and cost much less per yard.

- Stitching Pony: If you're handy with wood (or know someone who is) make your own. There's a very good pattern in the back of "The Art of Handstitching Leather" by Al Stohlman which you can also make into a stitching horse by adding the bench. You can make it exactly the way you want it, it will be better quality and cost less.

- Marble slab: If you have a company that cuts stone (countertops or gravestones) near you, ask them if they have any bigger broken pieces or leftovers. Most times they will give them to you for free because they have to pay to get rid of it otherwise. I got both my pieces for the asking from a countertop dealer.

- Leather weight: I make my dog collars from two layers of 5/6oz. veg-tan. Haven't tried bridle yet, but want to do that as it seems to be more water-resistant. For belts I'd go about 8oz. or 10/12 oz. for heavy-duty tool/pistol belts. If you're going to line them 5/6 oz. should suffice. If you're going to do any tooling, either glue the piece of leather to some cardboard with rubber cement or (like I do) take masking tape and run it on the flesh side to keep the leather from stretching out of shape. Peel off slowly when the leather has dried after tooling.

That's about all I can think of for now.

Have fun!

Black Dogg

Tracing film is quite expensive and can be replaced with architecture paper and be protected with sticky foil (what ever the name is for that).

Replacing the nylon edge slicker with a wooden one may be a better choice. It may be a good idea to get a burnisher for your power drill right away.

If you are planning to dye your straps yourself you'll need something to buff them as well. Buffing by hand takes too much time. At least it does for me. So I'm using something like this. You may have to have at least two. One for darker colors and one for lighter colors.

mMrVv5fH6_q7G5nR4fvpWsw.jpg

I second the marble slab, buffer and wood burnished mentioned above.

If you're going to be tooling be sire to get jewelers rouge to strop tour swivel knive. This will help keep a nice honed edge and will prevent your blade dragging, causing your leather to ruffle around your cuts