Striver

Large Volume Spraying?

Hello everyone i am starting a business and will be dying large amounts of leather. I used to use a airbrush but for the volume i am going to be doing an airbrush would take way to long. I only want to buy once and dont want any cheap stuff. budget is around 150. I use feibings oil dyes and i dilute it. Can someone please point me in the right direction. Also i use resolene as a finish and would be spraying that in a seperate gun. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks and God Bless.

Whatever you do, get the room ventilation and personal breathing filters worked out.

Airbrushes are one thing, but higher volume spraying of oil dyes which contain volatile solvents like acetone creates a whole list of health and safety issues. Brain and lung damage aside, Atmospheric fires are not fun at all. Trust me, you NEVER want to experience one of these. I have seen one, not been in one. Basically once you have a high enough concentration of volatile solvents in the atmosphere, any tiny spark, and all the air around the spark turns to fire, almost instantly. It can and will fill the room with fire in milliseconds. Compressor motors starting up have caused these before.

Safety first Amen to that.the place where i will be doing production has 3 large windows that open. i will be putting a high volume fan in, attatched to a filter going outside.

I have sprayed a side of veg tanned leather with the following Harbor Freight tool. I did spray outside, since I was using a dye that had alcohol in it and use an organic paint mask.

http://www.harborfreight.com/touch-up-air-spray-gun-66871.html

Hope this helps. Harbor Freight has other spray tools at reasonable prices.

Bob Stelmack

Hello everyone i am starting a business and will be dying large amounts of leather. I used to use a airbrush but for the volume i am going to be doing an airbrush would take way to long. I only want to buy once and dont want any cheap stuff. budget is around 150. I use feibings oil dyes and i dilute it. Can someone please point me in the right direction. Also i use resolene as a finish and would be spraying that in a seperate gun. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks and God Bless.

What is "large volume" to you? If you really have large volume, you can have 10 sides drum dyed to your custom color and penetration. If you only use backs, you can buy that way too. Large Volume talks. Airbrushing and spraying generally give shallow penetration, shallow enough that you can scratch the dye off easily. Drum dying however can penetrate all the way through if necessary. In finishing, dyeing is usually done in the drum and finish is applied by spray.

Art

Safety first Amen to that.the place where i will be doing production has 3 large windows that open. i will be putting a high volume fan in, attatched to a filter going outside.

Make sure that no one around your place will get harmed from the chemicals , HSE is a serious issue , i can send you a video for tanneries in Egypt manual spraying thin coating of pigment for 50 shoulder cow hides , let me know if you r interested (The HSE is very bad in Egypt)