Barfett

Neutralized Vinegaroon And Have Baking Soda Stains

Hello everyone!

I'm new to the forum and Leather work in general but I'm really enjoying both so far!

I started working with leather because I'm a Watch nut and I wanted to start making straps and possibly selling them eventually. The strap making is going well and I recently experimented with Vinegaroon. Everything worked great until after the baking soda bath. I did a quick dunk to make sure I didn't burn it, then rinsed it and it looked great! Until it dried. Then I noticed some baking soda stains (picture salt stains on Leather boots). So I figured I didn't rinse well enough and decided to give it another rinse under warm water. Of course the stains went away when it was wet but some came back when it dried, mostly along the edges. Is there anyway to get rid of this? The Vinegaroon turned my Leather a really dark blue and I planned on going over it again with some black dye. Would the dye cover up the soda stains?

I''m not sure about the stains, since I've never gotten any, but the blue tint will go away when you apply some neats foot oil to the leather. It should turn a deep deep black when oiled.

Dan

Well, I did go over it with black dye and a bit of the white came back after it dried. So I figured deglazing it again might work so I did that and it seems to have helped.. I guess time will tell. Maybe I just didn't rinse it long enough after the baking soda bath. Or the baking soda mixture was too strong. I don't know.