Pappys Leather

How To Apply Satin Sheen

I have usually applied satin sheen or other sealers with damp sponge but it usually takes some of the dye off. I have been trying to use an airbrush. I bought a kit with compressor and an airbrush. It worked great for the first few times. Now it will not spray. Air comes out but will not pick up the fluid. I have an old airbrush so I tried it. It will spray a little but then quits picking up the fluid from the jar. I have tried cleaning them both but to no avail. Does anyone here use an airbrush? Is the satin sheen too thick so it clogs the gun after a few sprays? I am thinking about buying another new airbrush, but afraid the same thing will happen.

Your airbrush needs cleaned.

Damn near anything will clog an airbrush up after a few uses.

I have cheap 12$ airbrushed and a top of the line iwata. They both need cleaning after each uses and during use if you are spraying a lot of material.

Your airbrush needs cleaned.

Damn near anything will clog an airbrush up after a few uses.

I have cheap 12$ airbrushed and a top of the line iwata. They both need cleaning after each uses and during use if you are spraying a lot of material.

Most often, you have to remove both of the tip caps and completely submerge them in solvent and brush them clean. Also, the needle needs to be removed and completely wiped clean. The holes in airbrush flow systems are tiny, and get clogged super easy.

Thinning and filtering whatever you are spraying is almost always necessary to ensure proper media flow through the airbrush

Edited by Colt W Knight

What is a good airbrush to use for spraying the satin sheen or super sheen? Anyone know what the proper mixture water verses the sheen? It is hard to clean the airbrush because it will not siphon after it is clogged.

So I bought a new airbrush that is external mixing. It seems to spray good. But when I went to wet form the holster the dye started coming off. What is the best way to seal the leather so it is water protected? I am making this belt and holster for a customer. I don't want to sell it to him and the first time he wears it and it gets wet to have the dye coming off and ruining the holster and his clothes. I used Tandy's black gel antique on this particular holster but I use other types of dyes also that I need to be sure they are not coming off.