gndy

Sandwiching Zippers Between 2 Layers Of Leather

Hello , whenever i try to sew leather (without binding/turning and no top stitching) like in the pic i always get out of alignment on the other side , How can i solve that ?

PS: basting tape is an option but i cant get my hand on thin one , so the zipper binding tape moves to the inside with the tape i have,

and glue could solve the problem in small runs , but what i want to produce 100 piece !

Thanks

I can't see the picture

That's not what bias tape is for. Stitch it to a sew in interfacing material. I suspect that piece was made with the zipper sewed to stiff interfacing with the leather built around that internal structure. You have more surface area to glue so it's easier to accurately place the zipper. Even if it's just half an inch, it's a lot better than trying to work with the webbing alone.

That's not what bias tape is for. Stitch it to a sew in interfacing material. I suspect that piece was made with the zipper sewed to stiff interfacing with the leather built around that internal structure. You have more surface area to glue so it's easier to accurately place the zipper. Even if it's just half an inch, it's a lot better than trying to work with the webbing alone.

you mean it's top stitched like any other fabric zipper case ? if so , what is i want to sew two pieces (1.8mm) with a zipper in between ?

because i tried with a Dopp kit with tunring it was directly a thick leather and the stitching on one side was very good , but on the other side it was messy with lots of ups and downs

One way to do it, is to pre-stab the stitching holes with an awl or pricking iron on both the outer leather piece and the inner leather piece (and to make sure that holes match). Have the zipper already glued in place on one of the leather peices. That way you can 'see' the stitching holes from the other side afterwards. Then when you start sewing the two leather pieces together, it's fairly easy to see and aim where to sew with the needles. A stitching clam is almost definitely required for this.

On 2/28/2016 at 2:35 AM, ConradPark said:

One way to do it, is to pre-stab the stitching holes with an awl or pricking iron on both the outer leather piece and the inner leather piece (and to make sure that holes match). Have the zipper already glued in place on one of the leather peices. That way you can 'see' the stitching holes from the other side afterwards. Then when you start sewing the two leather pieces together, it's fairly easy to see and aim where to sew with the needles. A stitching clam is almost definitely required for this.

Thnx , What about using a sewing machine ? 

It's allowed.