FaitLaForce

Machine Thread Weight

I'm looking for a bit of guidance on machine thread weights as they relate to different leather weights. I mostly do hand stitching, and really have no experience on what to buy for machine thread.

What weight thread would you experts recommend for a lighter weight goat skin, and then a heavier veg tan? I don't rememebr the exact weight of the goat, but the veg is 2.3-2.7 mm.

Thanks, and sorry if this is a repeat question!

Depending on the "look" you want, . . . either 277 or 346 should do right well there. Your veg tan is in the 6/7 ounce category, . . . which I use a lot, . . . and my sewing machine is set up for 346 thread, . . . all my customers are happy with it so far.

May God bless,

Dwight

Dwight, what size needle are you using for the 346?

Dwight, what size needle are you using for the 346?

You would ask a 71 year old to read what is on that needle???? :cowboy:

From what I can see with a 1 inch thick magnifying glass, . . . it looks like 200-25.

When I had my machine in for repair, . . . they guy asked me if I needed needles, . . . he asked me the thread I was using, . . . that's what he gave me.

They work in my Tippmann Boss.

May God bless,

Dwight

Thanks so much for the help guys! I live in Haiti and do a lot of my sourcing in the Dominican Republic, and y'all helped me out at a clutch time. I was sitting in a show shop looking at a wall of thread, so confused. Went with the 277, and love it.

I use a #26 (Metric #220) leather point needle to sew with #346 thread, top and bottom. That needle opens a decent size hole for the large knots to fill. You can get by with a #25/200 needle if you use a smaller size in the bobbin (e.g.; #207, 277). The hole will be pretty tight with a #25 needle, which is why using smaller bobbin thread makes it easier to pull the knots up into the leather.

While I mostly sew heavy stuff with #277 thread, when I use #346 on the top and bottom, it is usually in projects 1/4 inch thick and up.

Tried the 346 top and 207 bottom with a 25 needle. I use 277 top and 207 bottom. Skipped stitches. Cobra 4.

Tried the 346 top and 207 bottom with a 25 needle. I use 277 top and 207 bottom. Skipped stitches. Cobra 4.

It's safer to use a #26 Schmetz needle with #346 thread. You may need to increase the tension and lengthen the travel of the check spring to control the slack in that heavy of a thread. I normally run pretty strong tension on my check springs.