AddMan

Boot Making In The Pacific Northwest

Hi all,

Pretty new to boot making and looking for some advice on leather. I live in the Pacific Northwest, which if you don't know is a soggy muddy mess across a lot of the region for a lot of the year. This as you may imagine wreaks utter havoc on leather boots, or leather anything else that is subject to the weather.

I am wondering if anyone has suggestions for types of leather or particular tans that might have a better chance than others of holding up to these sorts of conditions in the long run. I know I know, take proper care of them, don't wear them in the rain, expect them to die young, wear rubber boots, etc. etc. This question is about particular types of leather that might possibly stand up to a wet climate better than others. If the answer is none, well, so be it. But worth checking! I will try this same question in the forums for types of leather also. Any thoughts or resources would surely be appreciated, thanks.

Redwing boots has their own tannery, S.B.Foot, and sells their oiltan boot leather to the public. I get it in Calgary Alberta. It is nice stuff, however may have some dye rub off. However, who cares if your socks turn colors if your feet stay dry while slogging in the cascades.

Tinker, where in Calgary do you get it from? Buckskin?

Tinker, where in Calgary do you get it from? Buckskin?

Yup. if you go there they have random discount hides for 3-5 bux a square foot. Got some nice stuff from time to time in that pile.

I don't mail order from them, i just fill my boots when i go to calgary to see family. I fly home with a coupe hides every time i go.

Cheers!

Thanks!