Uwe

Sewing With An Electrically Heated Inner Presser Foot !?

I came across this video by an Italian company Zallocco where they use an electrically heated inner presser foot to sew a belt. I haven't quite figured what the (heated) point of it is and my Italian is quite bad beyond ordering espresso based drinks.

Are they just shaping the needle hole for visual appearance? Perhaps the presser foot has a specially shaped bottom to make an impression in the leather as you sew. They must not be using nylon or polyester thread with that heated foot.

Has anybody else seen or used this, or know exactly what they're doing here? How does that heater rod even work with just one wire going to it?

That modified, welded-on big-foot outer presser foot is interesting, too - definitely not leaving any marks on the leather! Too bad they don't show what the underside looks like.

Edited by Uwe

Today must be Italian heated presser foot day. Another italian video shows a (broken and rather unsafe looking) heated presser foot machine in action at the 1:51 mark (what sewing machine is that?) I also realised that I'm not wearing nearly enough gold jewelry when I do my leatherwork.

If you look at their belts, it looks like they are making impressions at the stitch holes. It gives an interesting look.

The heating element has two wires (I believe). There might be a coaxial system to deliver electricity to the heating element like the filiteuse manuelle.

Edited by BigMatt

I would guess they are using the heat to get a stitch groove in chrome tan. The harness feet everyone uses on veg to sink the stitch would not work on chrome tan. The thing is, hot impressions take at least a little contact time, i am not sure there is enough time at full sewing speeds to make a mark, and the depth would vary with speed. The leather may even burn when stopping to turn a corner.

As to the single wire, it could be a negative ground DC circuit like a car in which the frame of the machine is the negative pole.

As to the single wire, it could be a negative ground DC circuit like a car in which the frame of the machine is the negative pole.

I thought about that, but that would cause erosion since the current would be running through moving surfaces (gears and bearings). Don't you think?

Totally. Arcing through bearings is not good. They may have a negative on the presser bar above.

I would say that they must have an electrical connection somewhere on the needle bar. You won't get very good conductivity via the oil that the bar should be running in, and as you say any arcing would be an issue.

I'm still trying to figure out what use it would be :dunno:

I did a google (ooh er, missus) and came across a US patent 1921/22 which claimed the heated presser foot 'ironed' the seams.

Could these machines have previously been used to iron on stabiliser to the back of a fabric seam.

Edited by LumpenDoodle2

It certainly looks like a technology or method that was invented when operator safety was a secondary concern. For myself I've concluded that this particular oddity in sewing technology is skippable. I don't feel the need to add burn marks and electric shocks to my personal list of sewing hazards. I'll stick with cuts and punctures for now.

Could it be a device that triggers the machine to stop instantly preventing the needle from sewing a person's hand? Like sawstop technology? It works off the conductivity of the human body.

If you look at their belts, it looks like they are making impressions at the stitch holes. It gives an interesting look.

The heating element has two wires (I believe). There might be a coaxial system to deliver electricity to the heating element like the filiteuse manuelle.

Like BigMatt said, this is strictly for decorative stitching, invented for a different look but no real function

Kind of like the old harness feet with overstitch points, but coarser and with heat.

Here is a close up where you can see the heater cartridge inserted into the side of the foot and the dark indentions around the stitch hole.

zamac-marca-punto.jpg

cucire-marca-punto.jpg

cintura-marca-punto.jpg

This one from the same user as the first vid Uwe posted has no needle and makes brogue punch patterns......

This one is absolutely full of "what exactly did they do there?" moments.....The bad quality video makes it even more weird.....Then things they did to those big adlers...wow..

Watch out for the scorpion claw finger biter at 2 minutes.......

Edited by TinkerTailor

This one from the same user as the first vid Uwe posted has no needle and makes brogue punch patterns......

This is actually a perforation machine, not a sewing machine (notice the brass punch pad on the base)

Their contribution is a heated punch head for decorative marking. We stock this model in the US... Model RP

Edited by CampbellRandall

This is actually a perforation machine, not a sewing machine (notice the brass punch pad on the base)

Their contribution is a heated punch head for decorative marking. We stock this model in the US... Model RP

That is what i was getting at, I guess i didn't use enough words. I use a 110 year old white rotary with an awl in it and no bobbin case to punch hand stitching holes.....Way easier that pricking irons. I can treadle it through 12 oz of veg if i give it a little help to start.....plus i dont need to spend 100 bux to switch spi....That rp machine is obviously based on the same idea.

The part that jumped out at me.was it used the same type of heater element, showing how much of an impression it can make in such a brief contact.

Is part of the advantage of these that they work better to compress the stitch line in chrome due to the heat?

Is part of the advantage of these that they work better to compress the stitch line in chrome due to the heat?

Totally - veg tan is normally the only leather that responds well to cold pressure. Heated tools can "iron" in the impression better, and also leave better contrast with the burn.