HondoMan

Thread Breaks On Needles - Often

Right then,

I've searched trough the forum as I thought this would be a fairly common issue for a newbie. Found nothing.

So,I mostly use John James needles and Tiger Ritza 25 thread. I 'walk the thread' up the need as I've seen in countless videos. Regardless how long or short of thread I leave beyond the eye, it seems as I pull one needle through the holes, the needle pulls away from the tread. It also matters not if I have made holes with a stitching chisel or an awl. I would expect it more often from an awl as the holes are much smaller. But the opposite seems more true. When I've used a stitching chisel, the thread and needle separate more often.

Any suggests on this nerve ending topic?

Thanks in advance.

~ HondoMan

Edited by HondoMan

I am not sure if I fully understand your question, something may be missing in the translation?

I will give it a try!

If your thread is pulling out of the needle eye as you stitch, you need to hold the newly threaded needle between your finger and thumb of one hand whilst holding the 2 pieces of thread with the other. I use a about 2 to 3 inches through the eye.

Then the needle is spun, or rotated by the finger and thumb causing the 2 pieces of thread to twist below the eye. This secures it sufficiently, but the twist may need to be re done occasionally.

This works best if the thread is adequately waxed.

If I have misunderstood your question, please try again, or if some quick pictures will help, just ask.

I use Ritza 25 and I have to literally cut my needles off of the thread when I'm done stitching, even after stitching a meter or more (since you're in Germany :) ), the thread never comes undone with even just a couple cm of thread beyond the eye. How?

Thread through eye as normal, pull enough thread through to go beyond the needle point for a few cm, pierce the thread through the flat side a few cm from the end, pull the needle through the hole all the way and tighten it so there is a loop of maybe 3-5mm beyond the eye.

The first pull through an awl hole will take some work, probably with pliers to flip the loop because this puts a twist in the thread, but your thread should never come off. Let me know if you need pictures or something.

-Sean

Edited by SmokeyPoint

Sorry, birdman, I completely don't understand... perhaps a translation matter.

@Smokey, that is exactly what I do. I don't understand why the thread continues to break. Could be that I received a bad spool of Ritza thread. Could happen. I'll continue to experiment until I figure something out.

Thanks to you both!

Picture of 2 No2 blunt harness needles with Tiger thread twisted, one loose one tight and ready to use to illustrate my earlier post.

Regards.

post-31019-0-04509600-1456940330_thumb.j

@HondoMan
if you are following SmokeyPoint's method, then there is now way your thread should be breaking.
Can you try breaking your thread with your bare hands? Tiger thread is super strong. It should not break. If you can break it, then it's not Tiger thread, or it's a terrible batch, or it has been damaged by a solvent or heat.

Birdman, I see now. Worth a try.

grmnsplx, cannot break with hands. I order from the only company in Germany that carries it. I contacted the manufacture directly and they pointed me towards this company, so I'd imagine it's real. Heat, solvent or a bad batch? Not by my doing. My thread stays in a drawer where I keep only needles and thread, so no chance at solvents or heat. Bad batch? Could be and as I stated earlier, it can happen. Oddly, I was working today on something with another Tiger thread. Yesterday I was using a light tan color, which was the culprit of my nerves. Today, I was using black and not one time did the thread break. Hmmm. Methinks the light brown might have been a bad batch.

Thank you all for the input!