laurenshansel

Question: Should I Clean The Leather Before Dyeing?

Hi, I am using veg tan obviously, and this question might be around all the time many times. I have been clicking a lot of links still could not decide. I have read somewhere that it is good to rub the veg tan with oil before dyeing because it helps the leather to absorb the dye or stain. The link povided me with some pictures, but it is really hard to judge because the lighting is very poor.

I also read in this forum that you do not need to clean it unless it is really dirty, or visibly dirty. I really appreciate for your tips or inputs.

Thanks. =)

You are correct. Some leathers need a boost of oil. If you do oil before you use oil dye, use 100% neatsfoot oil or extra virgin olive oil. The oil can be used to see light spots in the leather that may cause your oil dye not go on evenly. If that's the case you can just oil it again and let it dry to where its even again. Be careful not to put too much oil it will take forever to dry or change the color completely. Most of the leather craft books say to use a light coat of oil.