Sign in to follow this  
LeatherWerks

Tension Adjustments Juki 1541S

It's been a really long time since I got to do much leather work as I was in a car accident last year. Now I'm back in the saddle, (so to speak) back on the forum, but just as dumb as before.

I'm having a bit of trouble getting this Juki to sew correctly again. It's nothing serious, I just need a refresher on how to adjust the tension on the machine to get the stitch results I'm looking for. Can anyone help with this one? All I need to know is if I tighten this, it will do that kind of stuff.

Thanks,

Leatherwerks

If the machine has been sitting idle for a while, completely oil it, from the top and bottom, and apply light gear grease to the interacting toothed gears. Run it to distribute the oil then wipe off any that drips down on the feet and needle. Don't forget to oil the bobbin winder shaft. Check the v-belt for about 1/2 to 3/4 inch of slack in the middle and adjust if it's too loose or tight. Make sure the belt isn't fraying. Replace it if it is. Exploding v-belts can harm you.

Set the bobbin tension screw for a modicum of tension against the bobbin thread. Make sure you load the bobbins into the bobbin case so they unwind counterclockwise. This means that the bobbin thread makes are sharp bend as it feeds through the slot, to the hole where the tension spring affects it. You only need a smooth steady pressure. Not loose, not tight. Definitely not binding from left over starting thread stubs!

Feed the top thread through all of the guide holes, around the top of the upper tension disks, down and around and into the check spring, up to the take-up lever, then down through all guides to the left side of the needle. Thread from left to right, with the cutout or scarf above the needle's eye facing due-right. Hold back the top thread and rotate the wheel counterclockwise to catch and bring up the bobbin thread. Raise the feet, insert the work, lower the feet, hold back the starting threads and commence sewing.

If the lockstitch knots are visible on top, reduce the top tension adjustment nut or knob. If the knots are showing on the bottom, increase the top tension. If you have trouble balancing the position of the knots, try using a smaller needle size for that thread combination. It is always easier to balance the knots when you use the same size, color and brand of thread in the bobbin and on top.

That should get you back into the ballgame.

Edited by Wizcrafts

Wiz, I can always could on you to give a concise explanation of the issue. Thanks for taking the time to explain this to me.

LeatherWerks