Uwe

How-To Video: Installing A New Thread Tension Guide On A Juki Lu-563 Clone

I finally found time to install the new (original Juki!) Thread Release Guide part on my Tacsew T1563, a Juki LU-563 clone. I made a video to celebrate the occasion and document the process.

Since the part is somewhat deeply nested and connected in the head, I had to take apart and put back together a good portion of the head, including removing the presser foot bar and various connected parts. So the video might be useful even if you don't need to replace that particular part.

My thread release guide works as intended and the manual foot lift movements no longer catch and annoy every time you lift the presser foot.

The new part itself was cheap at $7.33, especially for an original Juki part. When I checked, ABC Sewing Machine was the only U.S. vendor who had this part (Juki Part Number B14602460A0) in stock AND listed on their online ordering system. So props to them for that.

So here's the video for your viewing pleasure and edutainment:

Great job, super excellent well thought out video. Really smart to find the correct tension release slide, these can be problematic if they are not made properly.

Uwe, Thanks! for the excellent video work there, its enough work just explaining and or sharing.

So a Big! thumbs up for the over the top work, :gathering:

talking Oscar talk

Good day there

Floyd

Fellow Leatherworkers,

What do you think about starting a new category on the forum for instruction videos on working on sewing machines? That way, our members having trouble with a certain model and make of a sewing machine would have a category they could go right to see how a machine is timed, hook changed, etc. Uwe has done some great videos so far and I am sure there are others already on the forum as well as some on other types of leather working machines. If they were all in one specific category

say Instruction videos for machinery, it would make it easier for all of us to find. Give us your input!

glenn

I´m with you Glenn. Best would be uploading Videos to the forum because sometime Videos dispersal from you tube. Same for manuals and parts lists.

I'm trying to consider the organization of it, like the ability to view these. Sometimes these are viewable to the post as a link without having a membership. And then again some photos are not viewable without logging on as a member. So is the post considering an embedded video where a log-in is required to be viewable.

checking to see if I'm on the same page here

I do know enough that in some way an organization of these would be needed and that's work and could hurt my one feeling, but I'm lucky knowing I have one because my brother told me, ya know you do have 1 feeling :cheers:

Floyd

after watching Uwe's video, I got into my recently acquired used Consew 226 to check why my tension release didn't seem to work properly. The thread tension release arm was missing with only the small ring portion of the part still around the shaft. I managed to get everything I need out of the machine and a replacement part ordered.

So I’d like to get the machine cleaned up inside as much as possible while wait on my replacement part to be shipped.

Does anyone know how to get the needle bar and the middle presser foot bar out of the head? There is a set screw on top that I took out but then nothing moves.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

010-cropped-1.jpg

013-note.jpg

001.jpg

Picture I: you have to remove the entire needle bar rock frame before you can remove it

Picture 2: you have to carefully tab out the hinge stud from the back side (you already have loosen it´s set screw in picture 3)

maybe a parts list will give you some additional hints how the parts are assembled.

I did tap that little stud at one point today with the end of screw driver and it didn't move so I stopped thinking it unwise to start hammering on the machine when I clearly didn’t have a clue.

So take the set screw out and then tap the stud out from the back. OK I’m goin in

Thanks so much for the help.

005.jpg

that did it, thanks again for the help.

009.jpg

Ahhhh, the tension release slide.  I've seen many of these poorly made on brand new Chinese machines...it's not the 1st thing you want to have to replace on a new machine.

As you can see, it's a big job to replace.

needle bar rock frame out, goin deeper.  thanks for all the help.

003.jpg

just a bit deeper

002-c.jpg

020.jpg

So I opened this oil resiovor cap (I think it's an oil resiovor) and this little pin was just sitting there on top of two stacked wick plugs 

It doesn't seem to belong. Does anyone know what it is for and where it goes?

thanks

007-cr.jpg

010-cr.jpg

013-c.jpg

That looks like a bed slide pin for holding the right slide plate from coming completely off.  I bet someone before you took it off and dropped it in the oil hole.  I would keep it but not use it and put it in the drawer.

glenn

right, thats the slide plate pin. There should be a small spring too. maybe its still in the hole.

Slide plate pin ........ thanks again guys. I'll look this up in the parts list diagram and see where and how it goes and see about the missing spring.

So my replacement "tension release slide" part came in the mail yesterday. It was shipped in a soft side bubble wrap envelope and the bendable part #10546 was sticking out the side of the bubble wrap. The arm broke off the part as I removed it from the bag.

Before they sent this to me I talked to Sean at Aberoni sewing and he told me that this is a quality Japanese made part that they use all the time. Another guy at the store said that of the two styles of parts the old style with the arm simply bent up at a right angle was the supirior part. He said that the one with the post added, the post will break off and was an inferior chinese part that runs about $3.00. When I asked why they mail of a bendable part in a softside bubble wrap envelope and not a box he said that other part venders ship the part in regular envelope (no bubble wrap) and that there method was better and saved money.

004-c.jpg

007-c.jpg

I recommend the original Juki part. When you compare the two versions side by side, the difference are quite obvious. One key difference is the that the top section of the vertical flat slide part is machined to be thinner than the rest of the metal stock. I think it makes a difference and allows for smoother movement and more pin-pushing action. 

ABC Sewing Machines sells the Genuine Juki part for $7.33, which in my mind is trivial compared to the effort it takes to install it. It may take a week or two to get them (I ordered a bunch of them). MJ Foley has them too for about the same price (and they include the Pin that goes inside the machine.) All my parts from both ABC and MJ Foley arrived in boxes, unharmed. The parts worked perfectly on all my Juki and Juki clone machines. 

I installed one of these on my Consew 225 today. It took a fair amount of fiddling/filing/polishing to make it work on the Consew (the vertical sliding part was a tad too wide for the Consew mate). But now even my Consew 225 is a happy thread tension releaser.

Edited by Uwe

So it been a while but did get the replacement parts in and was able to fix my “thread tension release slide” with (Seiko part #10546).

Uwe thanks again for making your videos. You really do a fine job. I have little to NO experience with sewing machine repair. But with your video I was able to order parts, open up the belly of the beast and make the fix. My “thread tension release” on my newly purchased, "used", Consew 226 is now working as it should.

Thanks again for your help Uwe.

Also I’d like to says thanks to Gregg over a Keystone Sewing Machines. Gregg finally sent me the correct Seiko part after I ordered the wrong (Chinese made) part from two other local LA parts venders.

20160506_102812-crp.jpg

027-CR.JPG

2016-06-10_10-41-25.jpg