Olle P

Fastening A Single Strap Button?

I know how to make* a button like this one:

post-69762-0-33133000-1456990910_thumb.j

It's commonly used on medieval style bags, pouches and shoes.

What I don't know is how to properly (as in historically mostly correct, yet neat) attach the button to the item.

The simple way would be to punch a hole and pull the strap through. Then tie a knot on the inside. This knot would be a bit more bulky than I desire, and feel really awkward inside a shoe, so I don't think that's the regular way to do it.

Any help appreciated!

* 1. Make (cut) a wedge ending with a thin strap at the pointy end.

2. Roll up the wedge.

3. Punch a hole straight through the roll.

4. Pull the strap through the hole.

copper or antique brass rivet would be in keeping with the medieval look.

How should I use a rivet to fasten the button? (Got plenty of those!)

Cut 2 slits in the leather where you want to attach the button, then pull your strap through the slits before you pull it through the slit or hole in the roll, so goes between your step 3 and 4.

Tom

Edit

You could rivet the strap where it passes through the 2 slits, would make it more secure and less likely to come apart.

... pull your strap through the slits before you pull it through the slit or hole in the roll, ...

Then the button won't hold together.

If it's unclear, this is what I'm working with:

post-69762-0-20063300-1457211591_thumb.j

The strap is an integral part of the button and by locking the strap after pulling it through the button core the button is prevented from unrolling itself.

A solution I've found from similar buttons is to have the strap split (lengthwise) into two that can then more easily be fastened where needed.

Then the button won't hold together.

If it's unclear, this is what I'm working with:

attachicon.gifButtonsketch.jpg

The strap is an integral part of the button and by locking the strap after pulling it through the button core the button is prevented from unrolling itself.

A solution I've found from similar buttons is to have the strap split (lengthwise) into two that can then more easily be fastened where needed.

I am very familiar with this style of button. Have it on a purse, used to hold a flap closed, and no problem un-rolling in 5 years.

Check out "Plate 108 Roll Button" page 273 in the Encyclopedia of Rawhide and Leather Braiding by Bruce Grant.

You just go through the slits in the mounting location just before you pull it through the roll to secure it.

Only trouble I have had with it is someone decided they had to unroll the button to open the flap instead of simply pulling the retaining loop over the button to release it. Some things are just too hard for others to comprehend.

Tom

I suppose the trick is to keep the hole through the button narrow enough to squeeze the strap.

I'll try it!

I made a button and found that the strap does sit firmly in the hole, once tightened.

Northmount's advice should work!

I made a toggle button for closing a pouch, with a loop closure (see the detail here on my webpage...it's the next to last photo from the end)

I don't think I'd use it for shoes-- too much stress.

Edited by DJole

I know this is an old thread, but I found this youtube video on a leather toggle (aka button) that is what I think you're trying to accomplish!