grommit

Stamping Tools/organiser-Rack.

Hello all,

A bit of a rant today!

Search on the net to find a stamp rack/ organiser. :taptap:

what I saw mostly cheap wooden rack, priced up to £30-£40+.

I could build a block wood, and drilled some holes to place then in if had the wood lol.

some people are so lazy and spent their money on overpriced pieces of dog toffee.

Sorry Rant over.

I admit what I converted into my leather stamp organiser/rack isn't pretty, but under £5 it do for now.

thank you for viewing.

ATB

Brian

post-70365-0-09842200-1457022414_thumb.j

Nice, I drilled holes in a scrape 2x4

I would do the same, but not got any wood around!!

This is ok for now, until I get decent piece of wood.

ATB

Brian

i got tired of not finding a rack that i like so i made one and now sell them on ebay....in a couple sizes and plan to expand the idea

I had some 6x6 left over from the new house, so asked a Mennonite friend to split it on a 45 angle, but not corner to corner, but from 1.5 in from the corners. now to throw it on the drill press with a bit of an angle, and will have 2 awesome tool holders! Did i mention the pieces are about 18 in long?

Hello,
I'm not saying that somebody can make some money, why not! If you can make a living, all well in done..

My rant is the crap people sell on the net, over priced and no build quality at all...makes a mockery of the whole 'build a stamp rack' in general.
It doent take much to make a rack of a lump of wood, drill holes, sand & polish and sell it tbh!
If the craftworkmanship n the quality is applied to every rack, I for one will look and maybe think of buying one...but at a fare price!!!!
Seems like another 'rant' lol
18' long!! What a beast! It's good to get all your tools in one or two places...mine are all over at the mo...finding something lost is my problem..well also 'Thinking' my problem!!
Great, looking in the net for ideas not only stamps but other tools and accessories etc to build...
ATB
Brian
Hello,

the best tool rack I ever saw was on here... it was a disabled military vet who makes leather flags and military commemoratives.. In a couple pictures he had an amazing tool rack he made out os a piece of driftwood. Wish I saved the photo to show you

Edited by biglew

hello biglew,

I bet it was awesome.

love people just making something out drift wood etc.

ATB

Bri

Hey Bri, ayup mate (Martyn here from BB). This is a coincidence, I'm halfway through making my own organiser too, having had exactly the same reaction as you to the daft cost of the commercial versions, which are just a drilled out bit of wood. here's mine... made from an old cat tree that was destined for the skip. It had some decent plywood on it that I thought was too good to bin, so decided to make a tool organiser. It's just a roughly screwed together box, all done with a jig saw and a cordless drill. The brass handles were salvaged from an old wooden table that got skipped some time back. I got carried away though and poshed it all up a bit with a leather top. Cost to me so far is 6"x18" of veg tan, the screws and my time - and I could have left the leather off really.

organiser001_zpsswllp4kv.jpg

The bit I've already drilled out is for pricking irons and chisel sets. The space on the left is fro awls and such to hang, but I'm waiting on the loan of some big forstner bits before I can drill em out. The bit to the right is for stamping tools and sundry tools. I'm pretty pleased with it so far. The woodwork is shameful, but it looks nice - I just hope I dont screw it up drilling the big holes.

Hello Martyn,

That's a beast!!

How's it going?

For all I can't grind my knives just now, I'm get into slowly with the leatherwork with my sheaths.

Small steps and all that!

When i thought a rack/organiser a small lump of wood and a few hole drilled...but ya Defo took it to all top level of morkmamship!

Good one m8! I like this, only one think I'm jealous ha ha!

What's your leather work Like? Mine is ok making sheaths as you know, but stamping and carving is an all new game to me...not as easy as some people think.

But it's taking it slow for me.

Catch u later pal, I'm off to my driving assessment, 14 months since I drove a car...it's a step in the right direction.

ATB

Bri

Hello Martyn,

That's a beast!!

How's it going?

For all I can't grind my knives just now, I'm get into slowly with the leatherwork with my sheaths.

Small steps and all that!When i thought a rack/organiser a small lump of wood and a few hole drilled...but ya Defo took it to all top level of morkmamship!

Good one m8! I like this, only one think I'm jealous ha ha!

What's your leather work Like? Mine is ok making sheaths as you know, but stamping and carving is an all new game to me...not as easy as some people think.

But it's taking it slow for me.

Catch u later pal, I'm off to my driving assessment, 14 months since I drove a car...it's a step in the right direction.

ATB

Bri

Sounds like you've been sick Bri? You'll have to forgive me mate, I've been unwell meself and havent been near the forums in a couple of years and am really out of touch with everything. I've got something called Crohn's disease. I's floored me for the last couple of years, but I'm getting on top of it. I just dabble with the leatherwork mate, more for something to keep me sane really. You know, you can do a bit when you are feeling right sort of thing. It's easy to pick up and put down. I've been practising saddle stitching old school - you know marking with a pricking iron and then making the holes with an awl as you go along. I'm still a bit fingers and thumbs with it and my back side stitching needs work, but I'm getting there.

I've never done any carving before either. Seems like we're both on the same page with this. I have a swivel knife and just bought one of those cheapo 20 piece sets off ebay. The tools will be rubbish, but good enough to let me know if it's something I can get into. Hence the box really. I was sick of stabbing myself on awls, trying to find something at the bottom of a box of bits and with more tools coming, I needed something to sort the mess and organise it.

Hope your assessment goes well Bri and I hope you're on top of whatever is ailing you mate?

All the best, Martyn.

Edited by Martyn

Mate, have u ordered the stamps yet??? I've got 2x 20 stamps kit at home.....don't ask why two the same...I can fire one for you if you want?

Aye pal two stokes last January..on my birthday of all days lol.

I'm alive m8....that's all matters..been hard but I'm for better than some people so I thank my lucky stars..

About that in a pm don't want to get bogged down with my life story ha ha!

Aye saddle stitch I learn ages ago! I couldn't get away with the single stitch that Ian tought me!

So much easier...and friendly with the fingers!

Passed my driving assessment a few hours ago! So I'm buzzing! The dvla with covert my licence to a automatic with adaptions...5hrs driving lessons and im them fully back on the road, after the re issue my licence.

Like you said leather making is my hobby now, theropy more than else. Sitting in a hospital for 7 months one handed jigsaw puzzles was ok for me then..time I feel to get back on the saddle again.

Catch you in a bit m8.

ATB

Bri

I wish I'd spoken to you last week Bri, the tools are on order, but no bother mate, they were only £8 quid for the set. Thanks for the offer though. So how come you have 2 sets? :D

Sorry to hear about the stroke mate, that's rough - I had no idea. But as you say, you're alive. Good news about the assessment mate - freeeedddom, it'll be like getting your life back, it'll make all the difference I'm sure.

Me mate's just dropped off the forstener bits, so I've got an afternoon of marking out holes on me drilling template. I'll drill em up tomorrow I think. I'm not looking forward to it, plywood is horrible stuff for blowing out at the back and not having a drill press it going to make it awkward.

Wasn't there a thread here about someone made a tool holder out of an old knife block? Looked pretty good too.

I have some 2x6x20 I need to drill out but I need a press, doing it with a hand drill doesn't cut it (at least when I do it).

Wasn't there a thread here about someone made a tool holder out of an old knife block? Looked pretty good too.

I have some 2x6x20 I need to drill out but I need a press, doing it with a hand drill doesn't cut it (at least when I do it).

I think if you're drilling a solid block, a drill press is pretty essential. You can get away with it if you are drilling through a couple of thin bits and then separating them in a box setup, because the errors aren't locked into it in the same way - it's not solid so you can move the base part a fraction to correct any waywardness. You can also make the holes slightly oversized to introduce a bit of forgiveness too. But I also have to remind myself it's just a tool holder, it's not dining room furniture. Like I said the woodworking on mine is shocking, but it looks nice enough from 10 feet away and so long as it works, it's all good. :D

Edited by Martyn

My problem is mostly hole depth. I bought some little clamp-on-the-bit thingys...waste of money. And putting a piece of tape on the bit is a joke for me.

I have a few holes that go through the wood.

Thinking about getting one of those bench top presses from Harbor Freight. Could probably use it as a drum sander too.

Have you considered just drilling all the holes straight through and then just adding a baseboard on the bottom?

Ha, evidently not :)

I need to make another anyway. Not enough holes in this one. Maybe even stain and poly it.

Finished my organiser box...

organiser002_zpss0zbnhpa.jpg

That's 100 holes exactly. It was a major job working out what I wanted, ho big they needed to be and where to put them. I bet I spent more than 3 hours just making out the drilling template.

organiser004_zpsdjt6h2q7.jpg

I'm happy, it turned out quite well, no major disasters. The forstner bits are amazing (used for the big holes), really quite a clean cut. I used regular twist drills for the smaller holes and some of the holes are a bit raggy. It's good enough though.

Just the job for me really. I dont have a dedicated leather-working space so everything has to be portable and compact.

organiser003_zpso5ilhzxt.jpg

I can get most of my most used tools in there and there is a little room for a few additions too. I need to expand my range of pricking chisels, so I've accounted for that.

organiser005_zpskzmn6eqn.jpg

Just found this on ebay...

_57_zpsqeczoyyo.jpg

There's loads of em with different numbers of drawers and such. This one measures 35cm x 35cm x 15cm so nicely desktop size and looks perfect for storing rivets and needles and such. Best of all, £40 quid delivered. Could even take out the top row of drawers and drill holes in the top fort another organizer. :D

Edited by Martyn

The small cabinet you found on eBay is great, as is the tool holder you made for yourself.

Would you happen to have the eBay listing number for the cabinet?

Might be out of sight to have shipped to Alabama but have been fooled before.

God Bless.

Ray

Hi Ray, actually I think these boxes are all made in China. You may well find similar on ebay.com, in fact I'm sure you will because there are some almost identical popping up on ebay.uk but shipping from Canadian and US sellers. Try a search for 'wooden desktop storage drawers'. Failing that, here are some ebay.uk listings...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wooden-Storage-Drawers-Small-Chest-Industrial-Urban-Shabby-Chic-Style-SALE-/322011101409?hash=item4af95b78e1:g:uYcAAOSwDuJWxDym

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121875468682?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182002729931?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

These are US sellers on UK ebay listings...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rustic-Desktop-Wooden-Office-Organizer-Drawers-Craft-Supplies-Holder-Storage-/151966893268?hash=item2361eec4d4:g:YPsAAOSwa-dWq4K-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Desk-Top-Wooden-Chest-Storage-With-4-Drawers-/222024403919?hash=item33b1af8bcf:g:4qoAAOSwUuFWwQ9w

This one is direct from China and is only £15 and £3 shipping (probably take 2 months to arrive though :D )

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271688755669?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Edited by Martyn

Martyn,

A emazing piece of workmanship there.

The finished peice with the tools in bring the size of it, spot on m8.

I think like anyone the problem is you can get enough Holes for everything in one place...and even when you make it there always one tool with no hole and end in the draw!

I'm thinking of getting some small table top shelves to put all the lager items, like dyes, resoline,glue etc.

All my leather tools are still at Ian's place along with a old drill press and a small drill press!

So off to the Le Prevo in Monday to get the ettential tools I need for now, handy being in the town.

Right off some more leather stamping!!

ATB

Brian

Thanks Bri. :)

I'm thinking of getting some small table top shelves to put all the lager items, like dyes, resoline,glue etc.

Same here. Have a look at this one mate...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182002729931?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

That's £24 quid and the depth of the draws internally is 11cm. That's deep enough to hold the 4oz bottles (10cm high) of Fiebings dye, resolene, tanners bond etc and the top shelf for anything too big or spools of thread or something. That's big enough for me as I only use the small bottles of dye, might be too small for you if your needs are a bit more industrial? I'm real tempted by that.

Edited by Martyn

wow!!

just bought that one Evilbay!

thanks pal.

ill tell you about when I get it..lol

Went to the El Prevo leather shop today at Newcatle, really friendly...but spent over I wanted lol.

ATB

Brian