JSLeathercraft

31-15 Vs Newer For Roller Foot Machine?

I had a plan to go look at a 31-15 this weekend. I wanted to clean it up and put a roller foot on it for super light work and mostly decorative stitching with 46 and 69. Tonight though, I got a lead on someone with 4 newer, non walking foot, machines for a very good price. One Tacsew DDL-8500 and one similar model Juki. I know a 31-15 is the time honored roller foot machine but can I put a roller foot on these and would it be the smarter choice since they are in good working shape?

Thanks!

Without researching the TackySew machine, all I can advise is that if you intend to use it to sew slowly, go for a manually oiled machine, like the 31-15. If one of the newer machines is also manually oiled and complete and working, buy it.

The high speed straight stitch machines have actual oil pans and oil sump pumps. They must be run at very high speed to distribute the oil. Manually oiled machines are safer to run at slow speeds all the time.

Ahhh...good thoughts Wiz. I like slow and steady. I'll check on that. Thank you!