joshua3

Sealing Dyed Lacing Thongs

Hi letahercrafters

I wonder what is the best way to seal self dyed laces (to prevent the color go off and make a mess on articles :blink: )

Best regards, J.P.

Hi JP, I am very much a beginner but found this Instructable really helpful. Hopefully someone with more experience can chip in. :)

For what it's worth, I buy my Kangaroo laces pre cut and dyed, but I still seal them with Eco-Flo Super Shene as my braiding is on handles. This might be overkill, but not having dyed it myself, I can't vouch for stay fastness of the colour and I am very cautious of marking people's skin.

Top photo when I am securing the small decorative braid is before using Super Shene, the second photo is afterwards. I had already applied the finish to the black leather slapper before adding the braided band.

IMG_20160507_142420.jpg

IMG_20160507_155933.jpg

IMG_20160505_115832.jpg

I use shellac on the finished product. Brushed or rubbed very thin. Since it is alcohol based it soaks in and does a good job of both getting through soap or grease and sealing the surface.