uberyk

How Do You Make Sure Your Stitch Thread Lays Flat?

When I first started saddle stitching, I used to completely run each needle one at a time to make sure the thread lay flat without getting twisted. Good results but I'm sure not the most efficient.

I've tried pulling both sides through at the same time and while the results aren't too bad, it just doesn't seem to lay as neatly as the one side at time method and of course I notice more instances where the thread has twisted and isn't laying completely flat in the stitch.

Is there some technique I'm missing here?

Stitch from both sides, knot in the middle and then you're done with stitching(and backstitching) either use a saddlers hammer or a rolling pin or bone folder to whallop(or roll) it flat.

Don't worry about flatness when you stitch, worry about consistency. The whalloping tends to smooth it out and make it flatten. Work on consistent tension on both sides as you pull the stitches tight.

Saddlers hammer is a round face one with smooth edges that doesn't leave marks on the surrounding leather.......

Cheers!

Edited by penguineer

Are you cutting stitch grooves? I'm doing holsters and using thick leather, so I always groove the stitch lines to sink them and they tend to migrate into them and straighten up when pulled tight.

I stick to leather that's 6oz or less so I usually don't need a groove.

I just make a light line with a compass and then go around with the chisel.

Just to be clear, I'm not having any issues with the stitch looking crooked and not aligned but having the thread itself be twisted on a stitch. Couldn't really find a picture to show so here goes:

Imagine a thread that's blue on one side and red on the other.

I start my stitch so the visible side is blue. Every stitch should then show the alternate color but one single stitch should never show a twisted blue and red if that makes any sense.

thread is typically round so it's going to rotate somewhat when you are stitching, unlike lace which will lay flat. As long as you pull both sides with the same amount of tension, your threads should look the same and then when you tap them down, everything will level out.

A couple things. You may be overthinking this. Personally, I'm far harder on my leather work than anyone else could ever be. Keep that in mind.

If it's twisting to the point that it's bunching try to use your thumb to keep the thread apart while you pull the stitch snug. I get thread that wants to twist into knots occasionally. I have to use my thumb over the stitch hole to keep the thread from twisting and knotting. That's about all I've got. Sounds like you might be getting a weird twist right at the end as it pulls tight.

The act of pulling a twisted thread through a tight hole will make the thread want to twist as it goes through.

It's definitely being nit picky on my part. At a glance you really wouldn't be able to tell but when you look really close, I'd say the untwisted stitch that lays perfectly flat looks ever slightly more polished than one with a twist. I was just curious to see if there was a technique that prevented this. Thank you for all the responses.

Edited by uberyk