Hi All,

I recently joined LW because it always popped up whenever I do searches on any leather related stuff, and so I just had to join. I have been doing leather work off and on now for about 2 years and have been doing my stitching by hand. My past experience include some holsters, mostly for smaller pistols (ultra carry, compact type stuff) and bought me-self some blue guns for moulding. I've also done some Dog collars, camera straps (I'm a photographer by profession) and belts. So far these are the only leather work I've done and most of my "orders" are for camera straps since I'm a member of a few local photography club. I can get away with riveting on all my straps but sometimes having it stitched is a nice option to offer as well.

So having said that, I searched and researched for a sewing machine, and from what I read in the forum I always see the Cobra Class 4 (or at least it always pops up whenever I do a search). I highly considered the Tippmann Boss, but from reading all the negative reviews I'm passing on it and going straight to an electric machine.

I went to the website (www.leathermachineco.com) and emailed to ask a question, but didn't get a reply back and it's been a couple days or so already so I called today (a woman picked up, instantly forgot her name, sorry) and after telling her my spiel she said to leave my name and number and somebody else will call back. Well, I'm a very impatient person so I just went here.

I see the Cobra Class 4P, with some added accessories and the 4 Standard...nice machines, but what about the Class 3? How is it different from the Class 4 except for the arm length? With my background on what I do, should I just go with the Class 3 instead of the Class 4 or should I just go with the Class 4?

My wife told me to just get the Class 4P and be done with it, but I'd like to ask second, third and fourth opinions. I'm highly considering other machines as well since I didn't get an answer back from my email, I'm really a very impatient person and I'm looking up on the Cowboy and TechSew right now (Cowboy CB4500 and TechSew5100)

Any and all input is much and greatly appreciated! :notworthy:

Jomar

You might email these folks, . . . they have been great to me: give him a shot at it anyway.

You'll probably be glad you did.

www.tolindsewmach.com/

May God bless,

Dwight

Hi Dwight,

Just called Toledo Industrial and spoke with Bob, asking what I should get and had to hang up and will give me a call back because he's got some customers waiting. We'll see after he calls me back.

Edit: Bob called back, and it was great talking to the guy. Gave me shipping prices and can get lower prices if I pick up from shipping company. :thumbsup:

Jomar

Edited by ruffwerkz

Been dealing with Bob for a few years now, great guy.

I think you will be better off in the long run getting the big machine if you can afford. You'll find uses for that extra sewing capacity quicker than you could ever imagine

Bob is good people. The Cowboy is also a great machine. The CB 4500 with the longer arm is your best buy, the extra clearance is really important, and the parts are standard 441. The resale (for your heirs and assigns) will be greater for the standard arm length machine. The CB 5500 is also a good buy if you have the room for it. Everything is heavy duty and parts are available. The money is really not that much more, and if you have any need for the big arm, it's a no brainer.

Always make a deal on accessories. Unless you have nothing better to do, you will never install 3/4 of them. I have one machine (441 clone) that is still running the feet/plate combo that was installed on it when I bought it. Many times, unless there is one helluva deal, it is better to just buy what you need.

Art

Thanks Art,

My workshop is small, so the CB4500 is the max that I can go with. Bob is a great guy when I spoke with him and I'm highly deliberating just going with him, but I gotta speak to other retailers as well and see where I will ultimately land as far as machine goes. My budget is 4K and I'd rather not use the whole thing up, I can buy additional threads and needles or leather with what's left...or get a leather splitter or strap cutter since cutting multiple 1.5" straps in a straight line is a pain in my behind.

This is my first post. I like you joined the forum because everytime I searched it led me back here.

I was in the same position you were in. I ended up going with The Class 4. I personally spent time with David and Steve at the shop and they were very knowledgeable and helpful. It doesnt hurt that I live 15 mins from the shop so it was an easy choice for me but regardless I would do business even if I was far away. They are VERY helpful.

I was initially interested in the class 18 because I mainly do wallets, guitar straps, watch strap, pouches. Generally smaller goods. I did mention I wanted to get into bags and bigger items. This led me to the bigger machines because of potential thread limitations.

Class 3 and Class4 are the same except for the obvious difference in arm sizing. I was leaning towards the 3 but the price difference between the two is nominal so I figured might as well buy the bigger one just in case.

My only regret is not buying the prem package and going with just the standard. The extra feet, edge guide, and table would have been useful for me since this will be my only leather machine for awhile. It will need to handle a multitude of tasks.

Well thats my story. I hope it helps.

Thanks littlewing6283,

Great input and although I live up north and 7 hours away from Ontario, my wife was eager to go on a roadtrip and just head down to the shop and pick it up. Save me some dollars on the shipping and the wife get's to enjoy some R&R.

I am going for the longer arm now that the consensus is to go bigger/longer (sounded dirty there for a bit). Thank you for that!

Never got an email back from Leather Machine Co. or a callback....on vacation maybe or just dropped the ball?

Do people that ordered from Leather Machine Co. ordered online or called it in to order?

I bought a machine (cb3200) from bob and he is great to deal with. Even after sale. Jist a 3 hr trip for me so picking up was easy.

Wish I could do a pick up like you did rdf1967, I need to do another call to Bob and Steve if I can actually talk to him and finally decide on getting one today.

Alrighty then, Thank you all for the recommendations I finally pulled the trigger just a few minutes ago and bought the Cowboy CB4500 from Bob Jr. it will take sometime to get to my side of the boonies, but this will also give me a lot of time to rearrange my tiny workshop (garage) and open up a spot for it. I went with the package deal with all the extra stuff that I might never use, but according to my wife....better to have the extra stuff than not having it when you actually do need it.

I'm excited and terrified at the prospect of using the machine, but I'm a very hands-on person so I'm sure it won't take me that long to figure it out.

Thanks again Bob Jr. and Toledo Industrial....also, you'll have to thank my wife since she's the one that actually decided for me to go with you guys :thumbsup:

Now the wait begins... :bawling:

Hello Jomar,

I just got home from picking up some more machines & wanted to thank you & your Wife for buying a Cowboy.I wished we could ship it sooner but there is a few ahead of you & we ship them by the order they were sold.But we will let you now when it ships & give you the tracking #.

Hi Bob!

No worries, I wasn't expecting a quick delivery and since the purchase is complete, I will have time to rearrange my workspace and finally get my behind in building the storage shelves for my stock and get my work area organized.

Thank you again Bob! :spoton:

You will not be sorry for machine. I am still learning and am still terrified of messing with it for fear of downtime readjusting it lol but i dont think it is brain science or rocket surgery. The time my cowboy saves me is unbelievable. Enjoy your new partner. Tou will love it.

Rdf47

Thanks rdf1967, I'm pretty sure that I will😁

Same machine built in same factory.  Bob is good.  So is Steve.  Surprised Cobra never got back with you.  Their loss.!

glenn