I am a practicing Sheridan carving addict. I read the Henley swivel knife with a thin blade, is the best for detail and for Sheridan style detail. I have contacted Henley and I am working on my order. I'm thinking I need a 3/8 barrel, long handle swivel knife, with a thin, straight, 1/4 inch blade. I also want the medium knurl, with the thicker yoke, due to larger hands. Before I order this knife, can anyone give me some input on what I may not be considering? I won't be spending this kind of money on a swivel knife for a long while. Maybe someone with more experience with this brand of knife, will have a better more flexible approach to the Henley swivel knife I should purchase.

Thanks,

McDade

McDade

Interested in your progress with the swivel knife selection, I'm in a choosing scenario at the present myself.

The finger saddle it self I see there is an option on Henley's picture page. This part I am considering and trying to weigh the different benefits.

With reading a few post and viewing I'm positive their site page is several years old. I have heard prices are possibly different than listed.

I did see an email for them so considering that contact also, any information you can pass on is appreciated.

If some others have an opinion with using a thin and thick blade selection for best task I will say thanks up front, at the present I'm sticking to a straight blade choice.

The postings on the site here about swivel knifes are great though many are in the distant the quality is there and I'm glad to find a bit to help out.

Thanks and Good Friday

Floyd

Edited by brmax

Floyd,

Thanks for the post. I did get in touch with Henley knives. I took a while to hear back from them,  about 2 weeks, no big deal, it gave me more time to look into it.  I posted their reply below, I got this 3/11 so its current. The guy must be swamped or just the fact that quality takes time.  I ordered one and sent the money just recently. Four to five weeks is a wait, and it may be longer due to the part about the making the new mold....but I think I've been spoiled by places like Amazon. I have ordered from Springfield Leather and Barry King mainly and both are really fast, especially Barry King.

I did change my order, I had the chance to hold a Henley, it was a 5/8 barrel with the saddle yoke. It was way nice. I have settled into using a 1/2 barrel out of habit. I have an art background and most ceramic and printmaking tools are more like 3/8 or less. I was very smooth and the size felt perfect. I went for the 3/8 thin blade, which I like a lot, I have learn to use the straight blade well and don't care for an angled blade.

I hope this will help you, and let me know what you decide. 

Eric

The price will be $95.54, Shipping is included. We have discontinued the saddle yoke but have been getting more request for it

and have decided to make new mold and again make it available. It will be approximately  four or five more weeks before available.

Please let me know if you want to wait on it or get the standard yoke., Also please provide your shipping address.

If above acceptable please make personal or company ckeck payable to:  

Tony Louis Henley,  4229 pro street,  Shreveport, La.  71109.

Again thank you for your interest,

Louis

Eric

This is great information and helps tremendously, I will say its likely both high quality and lots of orders they have.

I will figure the barrel length setup choice then give them a call, this seems the issue at present. I have made the commitment this first time with Henley and so a bit more homework with the options. With this one I am at 1/2 dia. and the 3/8 fine blade as an order start.

Its interesting reading the many members opinions on the height and diameters with some mention of knurl but haven't heard much mention of saddle part. But there are many more post I haven't looked at, so the hunt continues : )

So at this time I am looking at assembled height min, max and the knurl options. Someone had posted a photo and lucky I found it as several brands were in there so another good photo reference of some next to others.

Thank you and good day there

Floyd

Hi McDade,

I bought a Henly about a year ago. The only option then was the flat style yoke. I believe the price was 99.95. The blade I received is .170 thick.  It is a very nice swivel knife. Today I am using two Leatherwrangler knives. Took a little getting use to (Aluminum barrels very light) because I have always used two Crafttool 50th Anniversary knives and loved the way they feel. For cutting the pattern I use a .043 thick blade and for the decorative cuts I use a blade that is .027. Paul at Leatherwrangler will make what ever you want. Both the Henly and the Leatherwrangler are very nice swivel knifes. Here is a picture of my swivel knife collection. I used a Berry King with a yoke out of a Tandy cast swivel knife. I loved the feel of it. (2nd one from the right) Barry's blades are very good and for a descent price. I bought a couple instead of sharpening. I have since learned to sharpen correctly.

From left to right  2 Tandy Cfaftool, 2 Leatherwrangler, Chuck Smith Ole' Smoothie, Bob Beard Pro Series, Henly, and 2 Barry Kings. 097.JPG

097.JPG.4d81e950c99309c789efae0f9574a98d

Tim, that is a awesome collection you have. I have looked at the Leatherwrangler swivels and they are impressive.  The aluminum threw me a bit, cause I really like the heft of say the Barry King brass swivel. I really like the idea of that thinner blade. I will definitely give some consideration to the Leatherwrangler swivel next purchase. Thanks for the post and sharing your collection.

Eric

You don't have to buy a knife just to get a blade, all the leading makers sell blades, most list thick and thin 

In Tim's post a couple above this, the type of finger saddle makes a huge difference in the feel and comfort using a swivel knife.  Note the left 4 swivel knives saddles.  Rounded to fit in the curve of your finger instead of a piece of rolled flat stock.  Long time ago, I made a leather cover for mine to stop the irritation of the square shape.

Also, for me, I like a larger diameter barrel.  Easier to hold, easier to twist with better control.  The one I like the best has a 5/8" diameter barrel.  And I don't have large hands. 

If you get a chance to try out different saddles and barrel diameter, do it.  Will save a few bucks, and you'll be happier with a swivel knife that fits your hand.

Tom

Eric thanks for the heads up, afterwards I made contact with them and glad its working out. I think from others around here and other sites this is a great choice.

Tim that's to much fun to choose from! thanks for posting the pic.  I can imagine the newer yoke is comfortable are there any control differences from your perspective. + -

Oltoot, thanks I have been looking around at the makers on blades and some conversations here with them and plan to pick up another spare blade.

Tom thank you, I been messing with the barrel diameter all weekend, or past week really, kinda like a blind date here so I welcome my choice respectfully. All I can say is next time I will know if its a dance I'm headed to or away from : )

I received a reply note from TL Henley this past weekend and ordered a standard yoke today, I'm going to run a 1/2" barrel at 2" with lite/medium knurl and cuttin with a straight 3/8" thin, so will catch up with you all in about 5 weeks.

I sure will be considering the new style yoke in the future. But as a first knife I will hold back steady, and say I'm just glad for the great conversation about the many knife makers supporting the trade and the wealth of sharing about the tools used here.

As of now the new style yoke has been out of stock and possibly later in spring or later.

Now to mosey around for a stamp or 2 and some video study.

Thanks everyone

Floyd

I just bought my first tandy knife today. I'm already looking for a better knife. Since Henley is local to me, I'll be giving him my business as soon as I can.