artwithapulse

Horween Leather Patina.

I finished up with the deer expo this weekend, and I was lucky enough to see a few wallets come through that have aged through the years. Good examples of what some Horween leathers do when they're very well "loved" by someone for a year or two!

These are some examples of some brutally cared for wallets. Most of these are owned by tradies and/or hunters, and see some abuse. A couple there have been a little more carefully cared for and it shows. Hopefully this will be a good FYI for anyone considering carry goods made from these leathers to see what the "worst case care" looks like.

The waxed flesh example was the most interesting to see - it can age pretty rough and needs different care to grain-side leather. This one has been through the ringer in only a couple of months, and it really shows. Definitely taught me to include a care sheet for the more unusual leathers!

Chromexcel:

Aged: over a year.

Owned by a builder.

14Bg4Ah.jpg

yUjogvc.jpg

v2uF3ih.jpg

Chromexcel:

Aged: 6 months.

LUJ59ai.jpg

llfN4rd.jpg

Chromexcel:

Aged: 9 months.

G3c0Y30.jpg

Horsehide Dublin

Aged: 6 months.

XSYdizz.jpg

Waxed flesh horsehide:

Aged: 4 months

ArC1l4j.jpg

J0NumFo.jpg

Nice post......I also make wallets out of Horween chromexcel.......unbelievable patina......here is mine after 7 months......

CyDmJP0.jpg

Thank you, It's awesome how much one can learn from this site.

To be fair to CXL, it cleans up with saddle soap extremely well and is very forgiving of most conditioners.

^ this is correct. These guys aren't leather aficionados and this is a good example of "worst case care" on some. Most of them got a new coat of mink oil and came up beautifully - however veg tan, of course, gets the best age to it.

Oh man I had no idea that the Chromexcel would look so bad after such a short period of time. Will this be bad to use for a footstool or a leather covered seat? I had planned to make some note book padfolios and some totes out of the stuff I had ordered, now I'm afraid customers are going to be bringing all my products back to me in 6 months complaining it is worn out. Anyone have any long term experience with that type of stuff? Thanks for sharing!

YinTx

Yin, you missed the part where we said how nicely it cleans up. Don't worry so much. They made army boots out of the stuff.

Edited by Nuttish

1 hour ago, LANGSETH said:

Does anyone know who made the first wallet? I would love one. 

That would be a lady in Australia that hasn't been on here for 2 1/2 years.